Kings on the south end

Discussion in 'Big Lake Cold Water Fishing Reports' started by mdj, May 6, 2018.

1. mdj

mdj

Incredible catches of kings in the 1st day of the classic in Mich City. Numerous 20lb fish weighed
    in. It was a very impressive weigh in yesterday. Over 1800lbs was weighed in on day 1.
    The top 2 amateur boats weighed 5 kings each, top place is a incredible 98lbs, and 2nd is at 90lbs.
    Top pro boat weighed 10 kings for 161lbs. Lots of 10 king limits weighed in.
    Just wanted to share with you Michigan folks that they appear healthy and mean, and hopefully
    make their way up the coast for your pleasure as the season progresses.
    Will try to copy a link to day 1 results
    http://www.hoosiercohoclub.org/index.php/tournaments/2018-tourney-s?id=9

2. slightofhand

slightofhand

Lake Michigan crashed years ago this must be fakenews. No bait either so it’s not possible for big and lots of kings at the same time

Too bad everyone sold their boats at the behest of a number of clowns on ms sportsman declaring the end of chinook salmon fishing on Lake Michigan. Lmfao

Great news and two thumbs up to more of it! I have been partaking myself and the lake has been a parking lot down there, everyone is pounding silver and loving it. The stampede of economic activity is working its way up the west side as we speak. It’s a proven fishery, Silver will always dominate...not green.

3. Slimits

Slimits

Hope that water warms fast to get em north fast. Indiana has been hogging them long enough!

Shark-Fin and storman like this.
  4. kroppe

kroppe

What is the season timing out of Michigan City? That port is a possibility for me this year. Is it the bite done, now? Or will there be fishable numbers of silver fish for some time?

What depth is popular and how far offshore does that correspond to? My understanding is the lake bottom is pretty flat at the south end, and deep water is pretty far out, correct or no?

5. Tmik34

Tmik34

We fished the coho classic. To get our kings today we had to pretty much run to st joe. They are moving

6. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

The severity of the winter dictates the migration!

Good for you guys!

kroppe likes this.
  7. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Yeah, when I went from 300 to 200 to 100 kings a year to an 8 king year I was a damned fool to flip a lot of tackle while others still wanted to buy it.

We're a long ways from being out of the woods yet.

gino, kroppe, RedM2 and 1 other person like this.
  8. kroppe

kroppe

Thanks. So when are the fishable number of salmon gone from Michigan City? Mid-May? June?

9. blackghost

blackghost

The spring migration usually only last a few weeks at each port. The big group of fish will be up north soon. My experience dictates once they move through there aren't many around until later in the summer.

kroppe and Shoeman like this.
  10. slightofhand

slightofhand

We are still in full crash status perpetually and don’t ever forget that. Have been for decades and will be for the rest of our lives Keep selling the gear brother, and the boat too. Sell it all, no bait and no kings in this lake. This is a lake trout lake and don’t ever forget that either. You will never catch more than 100 Kings a year so get used to it. This is the new normal. On the other hand I have caught 100 kings in the past week lol. It’s all about who’s fishing where I guess isn’t it?

Greenkingsalmon and Sparky23 like this.
  11. MrFysch

MrFysch

We caught 50 kings in 3 1/2 days this weekend on Flatout. 175 lbs for 10 fish in the tourney today. When we was closing in on the pierheads coming back to St Joe this afternoon....the alewives were shooting up out of our propeash by the hundreds.

12. slightofhand

slightofhand

Exactly. “Out of the Woods” is relative. Salmon fishing is pretty good now and certainly could be even better if we didn’t have to feed 30 million lake trout per year for the next 50 years. We are never going “back” to 2012 when my idiot neighbor with no clue caught 300 kings in a year and everyone thought they were a world beater. Get out and enjoy it now, it’s damn good. If you are in the right place at the right times and have a decent clue.

Greenkingsalmon likes this.
  13. Trunkslammer

Trunkslammer

I would enjoy seeing some of red hot reports. Im in no way arguing your claim, but I would like to gather some knowledge for this time of year for kings as it seems there isnt much information posted on the May bite as compared to the July/August bite.

14. scottscutbaitrigs

scottscutbaitrigs

The pictures of kings in the tournament was incredible. Best I have seen in years for spring catches. To get that big is a good sign. All I can say is be prepared for some hogs this summer. Great job Flat Out on your finish.

Sent from my VS501 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

15. slightofhand

slightofhand

I personally feel a lot of guys who don’t have success with kings or silver in general miss out because they wait until July and August. Year after year the most silver can be caught in April and May....down south. If you can trailer, go to these ports. 80% of my yearly silver comes in June or before. Plan on finishing in mid August at the latest, the fish are largely gone by then. No secret program in spring just find the bait and go. Mag spoons and coppers are my best but everything goes. Don’t surf the web waiting for a mayhem report, by the time you hear it the Fishing will be drying up at those ports. Just get out there and you will recognize the pattern it’s the same every year

Greenkingsalmon and MrFysch like this.