Kings on a pin

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by walleye mafia, Jul 22, 2018.

1. walleye mafia

walleye mafia

I’ve never fished for Kings on a pin before. I was wondering what set up to use. Do I float like I do for steel what bait and line weight do I use I have a two kingpins with 13 foot st croix rods. Thanks

2. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

I use a 6-10 or 8-12 lb. rod with 10-12 lb. leaders and a 12-20 gm. slimline type float depending on where I am fishing. The normal bait is skein, but I have used bags when I had to.

brian0013 likes this.

3. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

I personally fish 10lb Drennan on big water, and 12lb Drennan in tighter woody water when it comes to kings. Drennan under rated their stuff, so those are likely more like 12 and 15 lb real world breaking....I don’t know if the Croix are rated to handle those leaders if you choose to go that heavy on leads. Some guys go lighter, some guys go heavier than me.

My first year I tried to centerpin for kings, I used my 6-10 aventa.... so after I broke that on the first outing I stepped it up haha

I used a 9/10 wt anglers roost Spey conversion. Works great just very tip heavy and uncomfortable to fish all day. I still own it for a backup though.

I then used XST1324 by rainshadow for a bit - liked them quite a bit.

My most recent and current go-to have been the 10-17 12’ lamiglas I tied up. It wasn’t out quite in time for last years kings, I have yet to use it for kings but I’m sure it’ll do just fine. It handled Washington state wild steel and the summer runs here perfectly so far.

Other than that I use 15-20g floats and golfball size bright red skein on a gami 2/0 Octo hook 99% of the time. Lead length is 18” or so. Shot line about 24”. Most of the time I bulk 2/3 of the weight up top, and the remaining 1/3 at the bottom swivel to get the skein down quick for short buckets. If its more froggy and a longer slot, I might spread the shot out more to swing the eggs out in front.

Hope this helps!

LushLife and TK81 like this.
  4. Clum

Clum

5. walleye mafia

walleye mafia

Than
    thanks That helps bad thing is I only have loose steel eggs might have to tie some red gagger bags up till I get some skein

6. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

Steelhead eggs work just fine on salmon. Tie some fat pink, red, or chartreuse bags. Nickel to quarter sized is all you need.

7. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Steel egg bags do definitely work. To me, I have a hard time coming across loose steel, and save them for late winter and early spring unless in a pinch - just my approach/opinion... King skein is easy enough to bum from the cleaning stations at the big water ports. They may be bloody, but cut most ruined eggs out and they will catch fish. They may not keep well and may milk out quick but should last a couple days - long enough to catch a hen and get ya going.

8. Fishndude

Fishndude

The fish cleaning stations where the lake anglers clean their catch really come into their own at this time of year. Free skein for anyone who wants it.

9. walleye mafia

walleye mafia

10. nighttime

nighttime

There has been a few times I’ve been at the end of a bag and only thing left is borax with egg slime, I’ve packed that on the hook and caught em! Only good for a soft cast and one run but sometimes that’s all you need!!!

11. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

Or if you're at the end of your day of fishing and you're out of skein take a piece of yarn and dip it in your skein juice and watch the bobber go down

STEELnICE likes this.