King season wrap up

Discussion in 'North West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by ausable_steelhead, Oct 1, 2019.

1. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

Well, my month long chinook season is mostly done. What a varied bite this year. Had two good days(13 & 11), but a lot of 1-5 fish days.

I fished mostly bobbers and eggs. Skein outfished bags by a wide margin this year. That’s not a normal thing, but bags just were not happening for me, where I fish.

I landed my biggest king, 27lbs, and a nice bunch of 20-25lb fish as well. I never caught nor really saw any jack chinook. These were my nicer fish:

Sprytle, LushLife, foxfire69 and 22 others like this.
  2. jmaddog8807

jmaddog8807

Good stuff man!

PunyTrout likes this.

3. GRUNDY

GRUNDY

Nice work! Always look forward to your pics.

4. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

Nice fish pics my dude..

5. KrappieJ

KrappieJ

Are there any fresh fish... cohos around or is it about over?

6. cmueller302

cmueller302

Nice fish! We only caught a couple jacks very odd for us also!

7. michcats

michcats

Saw about a half dozen cohos in the river this weekend caught one there around just not in numbers where I was at

KrappieJ likes this.
  8. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

Most of the kings are very dark now. Coho been around for 3 weeks, but haven’t been on the bite much. I had one day where I hooked 3 and haven’t hooked one since. They’re still silvery.

KrappieJ likes this.
  9. Fishndude

Fishndude

I landed 14 Jack Kings last weekend fishing Lake Huron, off a river mouth. I was using floating spawnbags, and never hooked a big fish - largest was maybe 6#. But I caught a pile of them, and could have caught a lot more, if I had fished with spawn longer.

10. jmaddog8807

jmaddog8807

Still sounds like a good day even if ya didn't tangle with a big one....you hit the AS yet?

Troutguy12 and Whitetail_hunter like this.
  11. Fishndude

Fishndude

I probably won't start fishing the Ausable until November, for Steelhead. If I can get up in Oct, I might make a weekend trip, but it doesn't seem likely. LOL, this will probably be "the year" that Steelhead start coming in early, and Salmon will be spawning all over the river.

I have caught 1000's of Salmon, so catching a bunch of chrom-ish Jacks was plenty of fun for me.

12. Ojh

Ojh

I wrapped up my fishing last Friday, spent 2 weeks on the Manistee, spoke to some of the guys that post on here, and got soaked in general. We did better than the last few years, we managed to get enough large fish to fill the canner twice - nothing better than salmoncakes and football on a cold winter day, I also canned over 60 jars of Pear jam and vacuum packed many fillets, I caught and released a few steelhead, a walleye and an ambitious pike. The biggest I boated was just over 40" and lost a much larger one trying to net it. I didn't get anything on spawn - well, one steelhead - all were caught on lures. I switched up the last few days and went for steelhead without luck (tossing a soft bead), the water has been high and rain most of the time, I guess that has something to do with it. I saw lots of old friends on the river and envy those of you that live up there, I'm from Virginia and been fishing that piece of the Manistee for over 35years.
    I'm trying to get free to make another trip up there for steelhead in November, we'll see.
    Tight lines, all. Oj

13. ausable_steelhead

ausable_steelhead

Glad I said my salmon season was “mostly” done lol. Took my boy up skein fishing, and he had a ball. He got to battle a couple, and landed a nice looking hen. He was happy about that because he got to “add to the egg supply” in his words! This fish was a fighter, and really fought long and stubborn. He got her in though.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  14. MapleRiverSalmon

MapleRiverSalmon

That a boy Jon. I'll take one fish my kids catch over ten myself! Gets my blood pumping and my heart thumpin in my throat! Lol. Nice work

gino and jumbojake like this.
  15. GRUNDY

GRUNDY

Too cool! Looks like his Dad