Keweenaw Bay Lakers

Discussion in 'Icefishing UP inland lakes and big lake bays' started by UP Hunter, Feb 11, 2018.

1. UP Hunter

UP Hunter

Hurray!! For the first time in the last 3 years we were able to get out on Keweenaw Bay for lake trout yesterday. It's finally frozen over out from the Whirl-I-Gig. There is about 7" of ice with some rough spots but mostly smooth. There is not much snow on the ice, about 1" at most with lots of wind blown clear spots.
    From talking to others out there the fishing was spotty but my wife and I caught 9 Lake Trout between us in 4 hours. We were fishing in two hundred forty to two hundred fifty feet of water about 2/3 of a mile out from the parking lot.

2. Bam69

Bam69

Why were you out so far???? Fishing has been on FIRE right off of Baraga State Park. I have been farther out like you but being closer in is a world of difference. Cant wait to head down state for May walleye fishing on the SCR! Getting sick of this cold. Happy Fishing!

Captain Sea Cow likes this.

3. RearAdmiralLDF4

RearAdmiralLDF4

Bam, new here in Kbay and have been looking to get out this week, hear the state park has been decent and will give it a shot. Would sure like to get down state this and fill the freezer with some walleye summer. Tight lines!

Captain Sea Cow likes this.
  4. UP Hunter

UP Hunter

Are you catching lakers in shallow? If not, what are you catching? I have caught a few in 100' of water off of Sand Point but never in the shallower areas. All I've ever caught in shallower water is the small coho salmon off of the mouth of the Falls river back in the early '90s.
    As far as the cold, I guess I am not quite like you. I realized many years ago that I prefer ice fishing to fishing in the summer. No mosquitoes, No seasickness, Not too hot or too cold in my heated tent, Out of the sun, and easy to get around. Just my personal preference.

5. Bam69

Bam69

You are missing out then... Nothing like a late may/early june night out on the st clair river slayin' the eyes. Back to Lakers, we were catching them in tight like I said. I was surprised at first too but the fishing is hotter than tobasco on a summer day in Texas. Get em while theyre hot!

6. UP Hunter

UP Hunter

Are you sure you aren't catching splake? How many are you catching in a typical day.

7. Teggs

Teggs

Bam They are most likely splake u were catching, and yes the fishing is very hot right now. To find the bigger trophy sized lake trout you want to be in that 200 foot range. Most ppl shoot for 220ft. Off the whirl a gig where up hunter was fishing is one of the best spots for lakers and bigger sized ones. Deeper is always better for bigger lake trout especially in k and huron bays.

gatorman841 and zzcop302 like this.
  8. 150 Class

150 Class

No, those fish were greasers, smoked em up for Bam, he don’t know 69, but he knows pigs thru da ice

9. Bam69

Bam69

We’ve been catching a lot in tight!

10. pyro261

pyro261

I'm trying to find a place to get on some trout in a couple weeks. Weather looks like crap down here in the lower peninsula for a while. What's the ice conditions out on Keweenaw Bay? I've never fished out there but have wanted to try it. How far out is the ice still good?

gatorman841 likes this.
  11. gatorman841

gatorman841 Premium Member

I was just thinking about doing the same for a long wknd. Ice is done down here in SE area so would like to try it up there or off munising for Lakers and whitefish. If conditions are good this wknd or next hopefully that’s the plan. I’ve never fished it on the ice before either. Is there any local guides that would even be worth it for the first day to learn some?

12. UP Hunter

UP Hunter

The ice in toward the south end of the bay is going to be there for a good long while yet. Out where we are fishing there can is about 7+ inches of good ice. That is more susceptible to weather. High winds can break it up and, of course, warm weather can melt it. I'd make sure you check here again before traveling up.

13. UP HOOKER

UP HOOKER

Going to give it a shot in the morning

14. grapestomper

grapestomper

Contest on the bay tomorrow just so you know.