Keeping rural areas rural - is COVID accelerating urbanization of rural areas?

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by d_rek, Jul 31, 2020.

1. The Fishing Pollock

The Fishing Pollock

All 3 of those tows are as small as it gets. I live among them still. No massive sprawl. The only dollar generals are one in rapid city on the edge of town and one on the edge of town in bellaire. Both of which are a good idea. Saves you from driving a hour to get to TC. Mancalona has been at a dead stop for years since the Dura plant shut down about 10 years ago. Mostly empty buildings now a days and lots of drug traffic as it is on a main arterie. As for shanty creek. They have not grown in size since they purchased 200 acres to create ceder river golf course. Other than that nothings changed there in 30 years. The best part is it employees lots of people from those surrounding communities .

We will never get big by any means or in any way up here. TC is the only area that has really expanded and the movement has been very slow. Chums corners has expanded, but that really is not a bad thing. Lots of work opportunities in that area. 34 years ago we figured charlivoix and TC would meet here in Elk Rapids, but it never happened.

2. The Fishing Pollock

The Fishing Pollock

Only for 3 months out of the year then the fudge suckers pack up, lock up and don't come back for 9 months. The best part is they pay double tax on those properties and we get to spend the money. Just part of owning a 2nd home. If they didn't come , there really would be no "up north" to speak of .

pescadero, snortwheeze and d_rek like this.

3. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

You forgot the Dollar General at the N end of Methalona on 131.
    I want Bellaire to get the powerhouse that used to be right next to the bridge on 88 back. Used to catch big brookies right in the discharge, and the river all the way down to L Bellaire was a lot deeper due to the heavy discharges during peak demand periods. It was full of big smallies, small- middling pike, and the occasional muskie. The mill pond was a lot deeper too, you could jump into it from the RR trestle that is now a trail. Catching nice browns in there was simply a matter of fishing at dusk or dawn with anything you felt like throwing. And I want Jacks Drive In that is now Subway to return. Mcdonalds? HELL NO!!!! It can go and take Shorts with it.
    Getting old sucks.

4. birdhntr

birdhntr

I get this.I have neighbors this close.
    I sometimes say to myself that I am going to move and get some land then realize that I will create or be part of the same problem that D_rek is noting. These places wont stay that way under the current mindset.I believe community's need to start recycling and designing in the city especially with infrastructure already available.
    The old kmart is now 20 beautiful and current type homes

d_rek likes this.
  5. WALLEYE MIKE

WALLEYE MIKE Staff Member Mods

Or want the gravel road paved so they can keep their cars from getting muddy especially when they pull into their lily white empty garages.

6. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

I bought a 40 acres parcel with an 1890's house , barn and other out buildings in 1969 south of Mears. The property cost me $10,500. The last I counted there were over 60 new places in a strip 1 1/2 miles wide and 3 miles long around the place. I am tempted to sell 30 acres of bare hunting land. The problem is capital gains taxes would eat most of my profit. My sons own the house and ten acres it sets on as the ex wife kept it when I divorced her.

So many that moved here from the cites to get way from them want all of the amenities they had in the city. At a township board meeting one of the citiiditots was wanting this and that. One of the board members told them to move back where they came from if they wanted all of that.

As Mears is on the way to the Silver Lake Sand Dunes I can not stand to be there when the dunes are open. I can not stand they way us locals are treated buy the dune people.

7. CHASINEYES

CHASINEYES

Very very few take those positions without having a personal agenda or a concerted one. Example - Citizens of a community want nothing to do with windmills yet a large landowner and his best buddies has land desired by DTE and he heads the board. Know's which buttons to push and may even have Corporate thugs telling him or her which buttons. Longtime locals who know the local history dating back decades understand what's going on, newer transplants do not and vote them in. Lol

North Branch, get your heads out of those warm dark places or you'll be living with towering eyesore's.

Josh R and Chessieman like this.
  8. The Fishing Pollock

The Fishing Pollock

I don't mind shorts. They have some, and I mean some decent plates and their cider is really good. The beer, for me, not so much. My town missed a golden opportunity to make lots of money for them to spend on pet projects by not offering Shorts the old mustard factory at a reasonable deal.
    I only drive through mancy now on my way to fish in gaylord or indian river. Just not my kind of town. Buddy lives on the mill pond near the airport. He catchs tons of giant smallies early in the year and late fall.
    It's more like it use to be back in the early 80's after september rolls around at least. Gets quiet,except when I irritate people on the lake opening morning of duck season (hehe). It still beats living below us 10 far as I'm concerned .

9. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

Gravel roads sucks. I will never live on one again.

10. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

Wish someone would tell the 200 people a day that travel on our gravel road that .We have 20 homes on my one mile but people won't go 1/2 mile to get to the tar road .I laugh my butt off when a new fancy car speeds down the road in the mud and pot holes cost them $12.00 for a car wash every time they do it but they save 10 cents on gas .They never learn though and after it gets graded it only lasts a few days before it goes to hell again .

d_rek, hbt and jiggin is livin like this.
  11. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

Our last house was 1.5 miles to pavement and everytime it rained our road would turn to a sticky soupy mess. Just destroyed our cars for the 5 years we were there, no matter how slow you drove. Go too slow and someone will pass you and shower you with mud. Biggest problem we had was summer vacation traffic taking our gravel road as a short cut to get to US31. They would go 60 down the road and just destroy it.

Justin likes this.
  12. retired dundo

retired dundo

I hate the ones that fly down road when it dusty and just bury you in dust evan if your cutting grass or weed racking by the road.They won’t slow down and these are people tha live on the road.Sometimes when they get me I jump in my truck and when they pull in there driveway, I wait still they get out and get revenge I really like when they go to there mail box.Than I wave and bury them in dust and wave.It usually seems to work because if Iam out in front a lot will slow down if they see me

13. d_rek

d_rek

Well the chances of our road getting paved are slim to none. Living on a dirt road isn't the worst thing, but it's definitely something you have to learn to deal with when you live on one.

Thankfully our road doesn't provide a meaningful shortcut anywhere, and really is only travelled by homeowners who live on it or the adjacent road, so traffic is pretty light.

sureshot006 likes this.
  14. pgpn123

pgpn123

I don't miss the 2 dirt roads I've lived on. One house on 10a had a 700 ft drive which was great. The hunting was very good. After 10 years, sure enough, they put in a road with houses on both sides right behind my neighbor next to me. The builder asked if he could buy some of his 20a. Thankfully he said no. Some nice houses started sprinkling in up and down the road. No doubt when anyone moved in, they hoped nothing would change after that, lol. Ahh progress. I ended up moving a couple years later for other reasons.

d_rek likes this.
  15. d_rek

d_rek

Met the builder who bought the property next to me. More accurately I met the well driller (well known guy in the area and same guy who hooked mine up). Mentioned the builder was going to 'flip' the property, whatever that means. Some light googling of his name revealed the builder has a less than stellar track record as a landlord / rental owner, along with numerous other complaints and litigation going back to early 2000's.

Guess i'll cross my fingers he doesn't put an unpermitted, uninspected home up next to me that is nothing but problems for whoever the new sucker will be. Worse case scenario he builds a pile of crap and rents it out to some dirtballs, but that scenario doesn't strike me as likely. I think they'll try to line up a buyer for a build-to-suit type of deal, and cut as many corners as possible along the way.

But hey maybe i'm wrong and this person is actually an upstanding and reputable contractor and they're just being misrepresented online...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    jiggin is livin and brewster like this.