Keep out signs?

Discussion in 'General Michigan Hunting' started by wpmisport, Mar 6, 2018.

1. wpmisport

wpmisport

If I had private property I may put up a couple of signs. How may do you think is to many? They are all over now. Is one every 20 feet to many? I have seen them a lot closer than that.

2. reddog1

reddog1

1 sign ever 20 feet would definitely get your message across.
    I have a designated dog training area on my property that is authorized by the DNR and I had to post the area every 150 feet under their direction.

3. Bucman

Bucman

Enough so that at no point of entry you can see less than 2 signs. No excuse of not seeing them then.

PWood likes this.
  4. grapestomper

grapestomper

So the trespassers can't say they didn't see the signs.

5. Newaygo1

Newaygo1

Signs Should be be able to be seen and read from a distance before they get too close to your property line. I do not believe there is a specific requirement as to how close together they are to be posted. I have a fence Line along my property line so they have to "Cross" it and are aware it is "Private".
    I use these;
    https://www.lucky-buck.com/products/permanent-property-posting-sign
    they offer "No Trespassing" and "Private Property" they Stand Out.
    I once use the paper ones but they fade and tear off to soon. And the Metal ones also Fade...
    Might be that the owner has had too many trespassing and Just Want those to Be Aware they ARE! It is Sad Some have No Respect for others Property!

Newaygo1

jr28schalm likes this.
  6. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

It doesn't really matter from what I can tell. No one can read anyway.

BigW, Richard Cranium and wpmisport like this.
  7. jd4223

jd4223

I was rabbit hunting my property(an acre and a half) when a father and son team riding snow mobiles came onto my property and began doing laps around my property while I was standing there in my orange hunting suit holding my shotgun. I tried yelling to them to get their attention but neither of them would stop. Finally I fired a round off from my shotgun about 50 feet in front of the fathers snow mobile. Got his attention real quick. The father then had the stupidity of wanting to confront me. Had to inform him that I didn't think his young son should have to see his father killed in front of him for doing some thing stupid that would cause me to have to defend myself.Told the guy he better be a better parent and not set bad examples like trespassing while riding a snow mobile especially while the owner of said private property is standing there holding a shotgun. I then politely talked to the son and asked him if he knew what trespassing was and the risks involved if caught. Believe it or not the son apologized to me and asked me to forgive his father. Shook the young man's hand and thanked him for his apology and told his father he could call the police if he felt like filing charges. Father declined and both rode off.

8. Offfishn

Offfishn

Michigan has laws governing Trespassing and Private property.
    Below is portion of the MI statue, the complete statue is below it.

(b) The property is posted in a conspicuous manner against entry. The minimum letter height on the posting signs shall be 1 inch. Each posting sign shall be not less than 50 square inches, and the signs shall be spaced to enable a person to observenot less than 1 sign at any point of entry upon the property.
    Michigan Legislature - Section 324.73102

Section 324.73102

NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT (EXCERPT)
    Act 451 of 1994

324.73102 Entering or remaining on property of another; consent; exceptions.

Sec. 73102.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (4), a person shall not enter or remain upon the property of another person, other than farm property or a wooded area connected to farm property, to engage in any recreational activity or trapping on that property without the consent of the owner or his or her lessee or agent, if either of the following circumstances exists:

(a) The property is fenced or enclosed and is maintained in such a manner as to exclude intruders.

(b) The property is posted in a conspicuous manner against entry. The minimum letter height on the posting signs shall be 1 inch. Each posting sign shall be not less than 50 square inches, and the signs shall be spaced to enable a person to observe not less than 1 sign at any point of entry upon the property.

(2) Except as provided in subsection (4), a person shall not enter or remain upon farm property or a wooded area connected to farm property for any recreational activity or trapping without the consent of the owner or his or her lessee or agent, whether or not the farm property or wooded area connected to farm property is fenced, enclosed, or posted.

(3) On fenced or posted property or farm property, a fisherman wading or floating a navigable public stream may, without written or oral consent, enter upon property within the clearly defined banks of the stream or, without damaging farm products, walk a route as closely proximate to the clearly defined bank as possible when necessary to avoid a natural or artificial hazard or obstruction, including, but not limited to, a dam, deep hole, or a fence or other exercise of ownership by the riparian owner.

(4) A person other than a person possessing a firearm may, unless previously prohibited in writing or orally by the property owner or his or her lessee or agent, enter on foot upon the property of another person for the sole purpose of retrieving a hunting dog. The person shall not remain on the property beyond the reasonable time necessary to retrieve the dog. In an action under section 73109 or 73110, the burden of showing that the property owner or his or her lessee or agent previously prohibited entry under this subsection is on the plaintiff or prosecuting attorney, respectively.

(5) Consent to enter or remain upon the property of another person pursuant to this section may be given orally or in writing. The consent may establish conditions for entering or remaining upon that property. Unless prohibited in the written consent, a written consent may be amended or revoked orally. If the owner or his or her lessee or agent requires all persons entering or remaining upon the property to have written consent, the presence of the person on the property without written consent is prima facie evidence of unlawful entry.

History: Add. 1995, Act 58, Imd. Eff. May 24, 1995 ;-- Am. 1998, Act 546, Eff. Mar. 23, 1999
    Popular Name: Act 451
    Popular Name: NREPA
    Popular Name: Recreational Trespass Act

© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan

9. bobberbill

bobberbill

I have an issue to confront. My wife's mom's property (granny is in assisted). The neighbor to the north owns and rents the house adjoining to the south. SHE uses our property as an easy access to the rental. Lawn service, leaf pickup, tree removal, anything for the rental she just helps herself to access. A truck/trailer with a backhoe drove right over the drainfield to remove a big pilr of crap that had accumulated. Numerous times I've told her that it's not her property. I'm ready for a confrontation on the legal level.

10. Offfishn

Offfishn

Even though you have told her, it will end up a "He said-She said" thing.
    Post the signs and then contact the local law enforcement and report damage.
    Let them contact the neighbor to explain the law, they will then have no issues enforcing any subsequent call back.
    I would install a few well hidden trail cams to show them pictures also.

11. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

Sheriff's like pics off those cams. Neighbors house burnt down a couple of years ago. I told him I was gonna put some out just in case. He was cool with it. I got some good license plate #'s of looters.

12. bobberbill

bobberbill

Ongoing. Had battles with her nutjob husband. He's gone.. We're 15 mi away and the house is vacant. We've had numerous confrontations but she just doesn't GIS. I just cut a big black oak and the chunks will soon define the property line.

13. sniper

sniper

Couple weeks ago I lined my property line with about 80 steel signs...Had issues last year with tree thieves and tresspassers and I just wanna be in the right when I catch one these dueche bags on my property...I hung one sign every 15-25 yards where there was a tree present..

Attached Files:

14. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

I have 2 miles of border and do not have any signs. I’ve had an occasional trespasser over the past twenty years. Not enough to be worried about.

plugger likes this.
  15. ridgewalker

ridgewalker

I had both a CO and LEO tell me that they should be spread such that the one before and the one after the sign being worked on can easily be seen.