close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kayak recommendations

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Gumball01, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Shupac

Shupac

I'll bet.

If you're shooting "layout" from the kayak, how do you anchor it? Do you place one on both ends, or only on the rear and let the boat swing?

2. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

7-12-10 005.jpg That was a scull hunt. But when I layout hunt, I anchor upwind and put a float on the rope with a snap so I can reach back and disconnect without having to pull the anchor. The reaching back is a bit of a trick though.

Usually use the canoe for layout, as it's more stable and way more comfy. I even have seagull decoys to attach to it, nothing to see here ducks, nothing to see here.

3. Swamp Boss

Swamp Boss

X 2 What Shupac said about the Emotion

4. T-Berd

T-Berd

You should really give the Nucanoes a look. Incredibly stable. The deck is wide open and flat, with no rod storage hatches, battery boxes, anything like that that gets in your way more than anything. They are a little pricey, but on par with Jacksons or Wilderness systems. I found a demo for a good price, and my brother found a good deal on a used one.
    https://www.nucanoe.com/

5. zzcop302

zzcop302

My wife and I just bought a pair. We are fairly new to kayak fishing and wanted something affordable.
    I had found a lot of reviews on line and also many videos/ reviews on utube.
    Overall all pretty positive feedback.
    For someone who just wants to get out and do some fishing without a big investment, this seems to be a good choice.
    It was often stated to be both stable and tracks well for a lower priced fishing kayak.
    The other comment that was repeated was that the backrest was comfortable but the seat gave you a butt ache.
    Was recommended to upgrade seat.
    Tons of DIY modifications for kayak on utube, some really good ideas.
    I found a great stadium seat at Walmart that fits good.
    Here’s the one I found.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/RIO-Gear-Bleacher-Boss-Compact-Stadium-Seat/124675501.
    How have you liked yours so far?

6. ajkulish

ajkulish

I like mine very much. It is very stable (enough to paddle around with a 1 year old retriever between my legs) and tracks very well. However this does trade off a bit of speed. My buddies sit in is quite a bit faster than mine, but speed is not my goal in a man powered craft. The back rest is nice, as you can adjust the straps to lean forward or back as you please. I tilt it all the way back and can almost use it as a layout in the marsh if i cover myself in reeds. I never noticed the seat to be uncomfortable, but every time i have used it so far i was wearing multiple layers and neoprene waders. Only thing i do not like is that the dry well is not very dry, and things in there like to slide around to spots you cant easily reach them. I want to glue in a small perimeter in there to keep a few small objects like shotgun shells contained. I will let you know if i do this.

7. zzcop302

zzcop302

Thanks for the reply.
    Good to hear back from someone who has already used the Tamarack .
    Mine are arriving Friday , hopefully there will be some open water somewhere that day to give them a test paddle.
    Still a lot of ice up here in the UP.
    I’m like you, I’m not worried about speed..... tracking and stability was the most important features I wanted in a kayak and it seems to get good reviews for that.
    I passed on to my wife that you brought your dog along lol.
    We often bring our terrier mix dog along, he’s about 15 lbs.
    I’m looking forward to a sit on top yak since I’m 6 foot.
    The closed cockpit yak I have now hasn’t been to bad but does get a bit confining after a few hours on the water.
    Nice to be able to modify the deck space with some additional storage.
    Found some good DIY videos on Utube for adding a storage crate/rod holders that I may add.
    Also might add a anchor trolley if I get inspired.
    Thanks again for the reply.

Drake likes this.
  8. ajkulish

ajkulish

No problem. I am 155 lbs dry and 6 foot, and my dog is 60. On top of that i was wearing waders, my duck coat, had a bag of 15 decoys on the back, and somehow had my shotgun and blind bag all on the yak at the same time. Not sure how i made that work but it did haha.

The other thing to keep in mind however is that you will get more wet in a sit on top. Make sure to put drip rings on your paddle before even testing it out because your lap will be soaked. But that is totally worth the ability to position your legs however you want.