close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kayak recommendations

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Gumball01, Nov 24, 2017.

1. 55ducker

55ducker

Here is my Ascend H12 with the Redhead Blind. It has worked out well for me as a layout. The H12 is a hybrid kayak that's got lots of room up front and behind the seat. The whole package is about $800.
    [​IMG]

Zube and ma1979 like this.
  2. Wolverine423

Wolverine423

IMG_4672.jpg I now hunt with a Jackson big rig, you sit on top not inside. I've hunted with both styles in many different situations. At the end of day I definitely with out a doubt prefer a sit on top kayak in whatever brand name you can find a deal on.

Shoeman likes this.

3. T-Berd

T-Berd

Sit on tops are definitely the way to go if for no other reason than the safety factor. If you take take a spill, they are much easier to get back into quickly especially in deeper water if you can’t touch bottom. They also don’t fill up with water.

Shoeman likes this.
  4. Gumball01

Gumball01

So you feel this is stable enough to shoot out of then? The water I'm on wouldn't be very deep but it would be pretty convenient if I could just drop a blind on it and hunt from there.

5. RightHand

RightHand

I have this same setup and it is very stable shooting out of. I can stand up, paddle around standing, climb in and out of no problem. IMO this is one of the best kayaks for hunting on the market. With stability, storage space, options of the layout blind. Sure it doesn't have self draining scupper holes so you get some water in it from climbing in and out, but that doesn't make me want to trade it for one with them.

6. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Neoprene waders are amazingly buoyant if you go swimming with them. That whole bit about waders drowning you is crap told by people who have never swam in waders. You have to have a pfd along to be legal, so there's no reason not to wear it.

Paddle and gun leashes are a good idea.

IMAG1021.jpg

Swamp Boss and ma1979 like this.
  7. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

That hunt was a bit of a wet ride.

8. toppm

toppm

I have the Future Beach and love it. Not tippy and glides up river.

9. 55ducker

55ducker

Yes very stable. Getting in and out with the blind is a little tricky. To shoot you just set up like you were in a layout boat. That seat is from Three Rivers but the blind does come with a layout seat.

10. RiverLarry2

RiverLarry2

I have both a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 kayak (sit on top) and an Old Town 119 canoe. While both are great boats I think the Old Town 119 has a more flexible usage. There is a reason it has a cult like following among small stream fishermen and hunters.

The 119 is lighter than most kayaks and one thing that many guys don't think of, a canoe is easier to flip on top of a car or truck than a kayak. Most sit on tops are hard to grab. You can carry much more gear in a canoe than a kayak. I took out the seat that comes in the 119 and the weight comes down to about 42 pounds.

11. birdistheword

birdistheword

Very true. I have done this.
    Here’s my simple setup. It works but it sucks. The kayak tracks poorly towing a sled. My short short yak takes to much effort to paddle in waves and wind. The ascend model the other guy posted will be my next rig. Add waders, gun, ammo and whatever else you take and it makes even more uncomfortable hunt. But when you shoot ducks it makes it all worth it. You can also put your sled upside down in the cattails and sit in it. ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1511715233.125911.jpg

12. adam bomb

adam bomb

I like my old town predator
    ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1511749478.799974.jpg

Shiawassee_Kid likes this.
  13. ajkulish

ajkulish

zzcop302 likes this.
  14. Lamarsh

Lamarsh

A wide, sit on top kayak, finished in a color that is drab and earthy. Don't assume painting a kayak will be easy. It's doable, but requires more than just rattle canning the surface. Most are made of that RAM material and finished such that spray paint will just scratch off unless you first treat it with something like xylene, rub the surface down with a pad and then paint it. Better to just start off with a color that works IMO.

15. Shupac

Shupac

True, though with a slide on or roll on kayak rack, getting a sit-on-top on the car roof is a snap. I'm sure I would have dropped mine numerous times by now if I tried to hoist it directly from the ground to the roof.