close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kayak recommendations

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by Gumball01, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Gumball01

Gumball01

I think I'm ready to get myself a kayak. I don't have the room for any kind of boat right now but a kayak I can throw on the rack on top of my car and handle myself would be perfect for the rivers close by I do most of my hunting. Presently, I have to do all walk out spots which really limits my options and is honestly just a pain. A kayak would give me way more options in terms of spots.

That said--I've never owned one myself and would love some recommendations from folks out there more familiar with hunting from a kayak than me. Model recommendations? Things to consider?

I don't need a new one either...maybe after the season if someone has one they're unloading, I could get that but, with the holidays, I can keep an eye on some prices of new as well.

Thanks for the help!

2. chuckinduck

chuckinduck

I love my old town vapor angler. Works good for both fishing and I use it for ducks to sneak into smaller bodies of water. I have shot ducks from it but prefer to use it to get from point a to point b. Very stable and well built. ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1511539402.562618.jpg

Shiawassee_Kid and buckshot2 like this.

3. Gumball01

Gumball01

So you like it but it's better as transport to a spot you may camp out at--correct? This one was on my list so this good feedback. How much gear can you really move with it? Looks like maybe--15 decoys?

4. Shupac

Shupac

I have an Emotion Stealth Angler 11. It's a sit on top, which makes it easy to climb in/out of. Carries lots of gear too, and I sometimes haul a jet sled behind it to pack more. Very stable for shooting, though for me too, it's mainly a vehicle for getting around. No speed machine, but it's worked well for me on rivers, marshes, small lakes, the Great Lakes.

5. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

Sit on top really open up options over a sit in, as far as gear transport and such. Says the guy with a 10' sit in version.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  6. duckboy123

duckboy123

Old town Vapor is pretty good, very stable.

7. T-Berd

T-Berd

Nucanoe frontier 10 ft. Probably the most stable kayak out there. Nice and wide, and the 10 ft is light enough that you can handle it by yourself.

babs2699 likes this.
  8. birdistheword

birdistheword

ascend 12T from bass pro.

styme315 likes this.
  9. chuckinduck

chuckinduck

You could hunt out of it for sure. But you’d need to be careful when shooting or rough conditions. That pic there I believe I had about 18-20 dekes plus a mojo. Some were on long lines which helps with weight. I wouldn’t want to go much more then that as it gets a little tippy due to the change in center of gravity.

10. chuckinduck

chuckinduck

I will say my brother has the same kayak and towed Dekes in his jet sled and kept right up with me.

11. Kilt Guy

Kilt Guy

Saw a 10' sit on at Tractor Supply today for $199.00

What do you guys wear when kayaking? Waders would fill up if you tip over.

Outdoor Gal likes this.
  12. cfflybox

cfflybox

I used to hunt from an old town discovery 119 solo canoe. Was small and manageable, but held 2 doz dekes, gun, shells safely and securely.

13. Jeffish74

Jeffish74

I have 4 kayaks 2 hull styles. One has a round bottom and can turn quick but is easier to tip over as compared to one with a recessed hull bottom. Ever try to pull a glass out of water? This has a bottom design to really hold on to the water like the glass.
    I copied this from Dicks Sporting and bought both of mine from there. They show $399 but I waited for a sale and saved $100

Perfect for the avid angler, the Future Beach® Trophy Deluxe Kayak delivers a smooth, stable ride. From the roto-molded dihedral hull to the adjustable, cushioned seat back, this boat optimizes your open water experience. The Deluxe offers coaming pads for extended padding and comfort while reeling in your next big catch. With two flush mount rod holders and a built-in tackle box, the Trophy DLX delivers on all levels!
    Resized_20161125_152317.jpeg
    I do not use this for fishing the rod holder's are too far behind you to reach or see but I am very confident you can put 18 average size deks in the cockpit and storage compartment. Bungee cords on it hold gun and dry bag then holds camo when hunting.
    I do not put my legs in the cockpit just sit in it & I wear waders my feet rest on the sides but not in the water.
    20161023_180733.jpg
    I don't hunt from it. I deploy deks then hide it in weeds. Then it can be used to retrieve birds if water is deep.

Paint also. You can't go wrong with this one!
    20161126_204357.jpg

14. Outdoor Gal

Outdoor Gal

I saw that while I was there Wednesday. I was really wishing I could justify the purchase. We have two Louisiana style pirouges that are awesome, but now with a dog I'd like something more stable.

We wear our waders while paddling the pirouges but always wear a pfd as well. I usually wear a wader belt too.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Shiawassee_Kid likes this.
  15. Jeffish74

Jeffish74

I have a belt on to help slow or stop the fill up. Also getting in and out is when you have the most likelihood of flipping. The in/out is typically in shallow water. Once in it and paddling not much of a chance.