Kansas in December

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by RCA DOGS, Oct 21, 2020.

1. RCA DOGS

RCA DOGS

My season is of to a slow start Having back surgery September 24 put a damper on things. Just starting to take short walks ( hour or so ) with the dogs.

Anyway I’m looking at taking a trip in December to possibly Kansas. I’ve never been, but I’m assuming the weather is better there than ND and EVERYONE seems to be talking Kansas lately. Why not look into trying it. Not looking for spots ( but I won’t stop you from giving any honey holes) Just anything I should be aware of hunting this new state. Don’t you need a app to hunt there Walk in Access Program? Or is that another state?
    I have helped others on there first trip to ND. I’m just looking for things other have learned about Kansas on there trips to shorten my learning curve on my trip.
    Thanks

2. mjargs

mjargs

Only thing you really need is the WIHA map, which can be found by googling "kansas WIHA". Its interactive and will show you all the areas throughout the state that you can walk in and hunt. That's about all you'll need after you figure out where you're going.

3. ab5228

ab5228

No virtual check-ins required In KS. Your license gives you access to the walk in lands. Watch the roads, they can get dicey if there is any moisture during freeze thaw weather.

kingfisher 11 and skidoojc like this.
  4. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

December weather can be volatile.
    Motels far apart.
    Plan your trip between fronts

kingfisher 11 likes this.
  5. III

III

Have deer hunted Kansas in September in 100 degree heat also have hunted there in November and December. Have seen it snowing sideways and 6 degrees 2 days later in the 70's

kingfisher 11 likes this.
  6. birdhntr

birdhntr

I went in late January and weather was decent.Walking is easier there.you are more than welcome to private message me.There was still plenty enough to keep me entertained. Only one property didn't produce a bird.

7. RCA DOGS

RCA DOGS

Pm sent

8. Bondhu

Bondhu

WIHA around Lebanon area should be good. Any areas north of Hays also.
    East and West roads get pretty greasy with any kind of moisture.

RCA DOGS likes this.
  9. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

You could always drop in to Cheyenne bottoms, and do a day of mixed bag.

RCA DOGS likes this.
  10. birdhntr

birdhntr

That's two hits for that area RCA.!!

RCA DOGS likes this.
  11. hehibrits

hehibrits

As said, watch the roads. Should be more than enough ground to hunt if you do your homework and bird numbers seem strong. Good luck and let us know how it goes. I will be out there the first week of January.

birdhntr likes this.
  12. birdhntr

birdhntr

Kansas is having a warm spell but the forecast for the opener is looking promising for sure. Screenshot_20201101-102144_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20201101-102152_Chrome.jpg

13. birdhntr

birdhntr

My kansas contact told me quail are up.For pheasant he isn't sure until they start hunting but at worst he said it will be the same as last year.

14. birdhntr

birdhntr

RCA DOGS likes this.
  15. huntmore

huntmore

Headed out the week of thanksgiving for 10 days . We’ll do some waterfowl hunting in the morning then hit the upland birds in the afternoon. My buddy out there has been sending some good reports on bird numbers. With all the cold to the north there duck opener was damm good. I believe this is year 7 or 8 for me. After hunting grouse and wc covers I typically take a ton of **** from my buddy that the dogs don’t range enough. It takes a few days for them to not say “where in the hell are the trees” Well this year I have a big running DD in the mix.i think I’ll have A little something for his pointers this time.

DoubleJay and Bondhu like this.