Kansas Early Season

Discussion in 'Out of state hunts' started by QuackQuackBoom, Apr 6, 2018.

1. QuackQuackBoom

QuackQuackBoom

Just booked my first out of state deer hunt this past week for north central Kansas for early season muzzleloader. Wondering if any of you guys have hunted out there during this time and what to expect? Any information or experiences will be well appreciated thanks guys!

2. J D

J D

Hot as hell
    Went the past 2 years was successful last year but I am putting in for archery this year and hunting later in the year
    Good luck

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3. bucko12pt

bucko12pt

Shorts and a couple Thermacell's.

4. kingfisher 11

kingfisher 11

Shot my best KS buck on the early Muzzy hunt. I was always told one of the two weeks will be wet and this is true in Sept. My last time there it was hot as heck. I was using a thermocell to. Helped for everything but the little blackfly/nats.
    As I was sitting and sweating my but off up a telephone pole, I swore never again. I figured as hot as it was the bucks would be heading to water once the sun started going down. I set up between a cornfield and water hole. Once that sun started going down it cooled off very fast and became comfortable.
    Then it happened, the deer started coming. I passed a border line shooter with 20 minutes of light left. Hoped I did not make a mistake, then my buck stepped out about 50 yards behind him. No question he was the boss and I shot him at 60 yards. This deer was a pig, scored around 150" and stickers everywhere.

Find the transition areas, they will still be in bachelor groups not pressured. They don't move much unril first light and last light. Avoid the full moon phase.

5. clattin

clattin

HOT! What county?

6. QuackQuackBoom

QuackQuackBoom

I'll be hunting in Washington county

7. QuackQuackBoom

QuackQuackBoom

Thanks for all the information! I looked at when the season is, looks like the last week of the season is the full moon phase. Even if the last week is cooler than the first would you still suggest the first week being that the last week in September is the full moon phase?

8. Locked and Nocked

Locked and Nocked

My dad, brothers, and I will all be going out this year. We will be in units 4 and 7. I tried to convince them to go during the November rut but they want to give this a shot as they just want to bring some meat home.

Anyone have any issues with ticks?

9. hot ticket II

hot ticket II

I have hunted Kansas for about 40 years the early muzzleloader is a relatively new thing. I would suggest you go early or better yet fund a local to scout for you. Typically the crops are still up and the temps are high making for very limited day time movement. If you can find a good buck it will stick to its pattern but you will only have a hour or two in the morning and evening where they are on their feet. I would definitely avoid the full moon that would just make matters worse

buck11pt24 and kingfisher 11 like this.