Kalamazoo Area State Game Area Hunters

Discussion in 'General Michigan Hunting' started by Kingor3, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Kingor3

Kingor3

Whoever jacked my treestands could you please return them thanks.....I would however enjoy swappin info with local hunters....mine as well be on the same team.:evil:

2. MichMatt

MichMatt

Not that I'm from the area or would I steal but if you stands were on public land they may have been in place too soon. This is from the DNR web site regarding Raised Platforms and Tree Stands.

"Scaffolds, raised platforms, ladders, steps and any other device to assist in climbing a tree cannot be placed on public lands any earlier than Sept. 1, and must be removed by March 1."

3. Bowslayer

Bowslayer

That pretty much sums up your problem right there! You're a little too early. Maybe you can call the local DNR office and see if they may have them. :(

4. tjstebb

tjstebb

You won't find them on here....this is a sportsman forum and sportsman don't steal stands that don't belong to them....

Welcome to the site though,
    tjstebb

5. hunting man

hunting man

if they have been stolen from the gourdneck state game area. You were silly for leaving them out there.

6. Kingor3

Kingor3

All of these things I know I was trying to joke about the fact that stands get ripped off all the time out there, and I have been a victim but will not be again any time soon...just get sick of the attitude of too many state land hunters and hope that I could meet some that don't shoot stands out of trees with shotguns for fun...I have bow hunted in Gourdeneck SGA for 5 years and have been scouting fulton as well, although I'd rather lose a stand than be murdered by a neighbor.....anyone have any luck in fulton.

7. hunting man

hunting man

I have a duck blind on the channel between hogsett and gourdneck lakes. I see some nice bucks swim across the channel from the county park to the state game area often. Checkout the south end of the lakes. Never anyone down that far. The cattails hide them well.
    I have a huge 6 point typical shed from over near center street. Never did find the other side. He would have been a giant if the other side is equal

8. Kingor3

Kingor3

Funny you say that I actually had a stand as close to that as I could get...and had it stolen last year during gun season...couldn't believe anyone was crazy enough to get back there besides me....I never had any luck there, but only because I was bushwackin thru swamp to get to it and needed to take a boat or canoe, which seems to be the way to go. Have you been up that creek? and how far? I would love to find a way to access the other side of that land. Thanks for the reply.

9. michgundog

michgundog

I agree Gourdneck SGA gets a lot of traffic another is Fulton SGA which is east of Gneck. I wouldn't leave a stand up at either unless I wanted it stolen. It's just too bad that some low life had to steal this guys stand, but chances are if they have to steal a tree stand they can't afford the internet let alone a computer, so they probaly won't be reading this... I mean come on you can buy used tree stands all day long off Ebay and Craigslist for $20--$50.

I haven't been to either one of these GSA's in years, but I would rather hunt Fulton than Gneck.

10. Kingor3

Kingor3

thanks for the replies...again i know how often these stands get stolen, because it's happened to me a couple years in a row... The purpose of this thread was to talk to others who may bowhunt these areas or have bowhunted these areas....I know being a hunter on state land makes you not trust people and be secretive but having more people lookin out for each other may be beneficial in a couple of ways....maybe a loose sportsmen group of the game area, has anyone heard of something like that ever happening? I'd even like to volunteer to clean up some of the crap people love to dump in every parking lot. Probably a dnr question i guess...

11. michgundog

michgundog

I agree.

The dumping crap on DNR land is a start of another thread for sure. I'm sure the same low life that helped himself to your stand is the loser who dumps his crap out there at Gourdneck SGA. Also is probably with the guys who blow through tons of ammo just to leave the boxes and he spent shells all over the place.....

12. Kingor3

Kingor3

seeing this endless dumping is repulsive for sure, and it makes perfect sense why they shut these areas down in the winter sometimes ( frustrating going to hogsett to ice fish and the gate is locked.) I have even seen a slain swan in the bushes right next to where I park to bowhunt...but rarely see CO's down there.....anyways would love to see the game areas which are great for those of us with no private land taken care of a little better.

nothin against all of you duck and geese hunters but Ive definately had bird shot raining on me in my treestand before, perhaps I should move away from the water ey? do you hunt there gundog?

13. Bowslayer

Bowslayer

I went out this saturday to check my stands on land that borders the GSGA and what do ya know, they were all there!!!! I was pretty pumped about that. Now if I can keep people out of them during the season that would be even better. Last year I found candy wrappers and cigarette butts in most of them as well as tampons hanging from trees, yeah TAMPONS!:mad: That pissed me off quite a bit.
    There are a decent amount of deer out there, but once as gun season kicks in, my season is pretty much done. I normally don't run into too many people in the area that I hunt, mostly joggers and dog walkers which don't seem to spook too many deer. I mostly hunt around Vanderbilt Rd. Good luck this season!

14. MichMatt

MichMatt

Bowslayer

I'd guess the tampons are a poor mans scent wick.

15. michgundog

michgundog

kingor3,

No I don't hunt there, I moved out of the area a long time ago. I use to hunt rabbits and ocasionally woodcock when they would pass through on their fall flights at Gordneck. It's a real nice place, I heard at one time it was part of the DNR's Put-N-Take Phz Operations. But that program was phased out in the early 80's I believe, and at that time the DNR just let it go. It doesn't sound like things have changed much around there. It was a major dumping ground for scum and low lifes back when I was down there. I live by a SGA in S. Mich. now and it's the same ole crap trust me. I'm not sure why if someone's 1990's TV broke why they want to make it everyone else's problem by throwing out in a SGA??!!! The one by me I've seen TV's, mattress/box springs, tables/chairs spent ammo/boxes etc... Just like you would see out at Gourdneck.

Good luck with your up coming bow season have you ever checked out Fulton SGA?