close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

K-drill or Nils?

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by jsbowman, Nov 16, 2017.

1. jsbowman

jsbowman

2. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

Ya might wanna check the tq specs to see what it has. The fuel has a TON of tq and if the manufacturer is recommending that drill it's probably for a good reason. I would hate to see you by the K drill, take it out on its maiden voyage and find out that your drill only has enough torque to do a few holes or possibly do damage to the motor and burn it up. Just my thoughts

3. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

Also it looks like your drill only puts out approximately 300 inch pounds of torque (limited info i can find) as opposed to 1200 from the Milwaukee fuel. I could be wrong but I think that's a substantial difference. Those with more knowledge on the situation maybe can chime in.

4. Jimbos

Jimbos

8 weeks a year in Petoskey, 44 in Livonia
    Plus that 2.0 battery is pretty small.

5. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

Actually that looks like uwo not tq... so I'm wrong on that comparison.

6. jimbo

jimbo

What? I thought me nils hand auger was pretty light. Is the Kdrill plastic?

7. jsbowman

jsbowman

Aluminum shaft with composite flights.

jimbo likes this.
  8. litg8r

litg8r

Kdrill- I have the nils and it cuts well- when sharp. The smooth edge is susceptible to nicks from accidental bumping and debris in the ice. Even the slightest nick renders the nils virtually useless. Kdrill has serrated blades which are more forgiving. Wish the 8” kdrill was available when I bought my nils. PS- never buy from FishUSA. They refused my request for a refund for a defective nils cutting head claiming it was used. How do I discover it’s defective without using it?!

9. Fishsmith85

Fishsmith85

I have used both. I own an 8" k-drill paired with a Milwaukee Fuel and I can cut holes with one hand. I used it with the 5.0ah battery up north last year cutting holes for me and another guy through 14-16" of ice and never went through two batteries in a day. Plus you can open up old holes with the k-drill which is better to save your battery life. Highly recommend the k-drill, I know I will never use anything else.

Sturat and jsbowman like this.
  10. Burksee

Burksee Premium Member

Not to discourage you from buying something new but we've actually found the old Mora augers with its less aggressive blades/bite/cut is easier to drill with and you get more holes per battery. ;)

Sturat, Drake, jancoe and 1 other person like this.
  11. sfw1960

sfw1960 Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Good call Gary, and YES the Milwaukee will twist the chuck off a Porter tool - I've broken a lot of PC tools in the past 28 years..

Milwaukee takes more of a beating IMO.

12. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

It's on sale right now at home depot for 99 bucks

jsbowman likes this.
  13. BUGBOAT

BUGBOAT

Be careful with which Milwaukee drill you choose. You want the M18 Fuel with 1200 inch pounds of torque. They make an M18 fuel with 750 inch pounds of torque also. There are many other drills with less torque yet. Of course you get what you pay for. The model for the 1200 inch pound hammer drill is 2704 or you can get it without the hammer feature, model 2703. Don't think the $99 one is the one you want.

Sturat and Jimbos like this.
  14. Jimbos

Jimbos

8 weeks a year in Petoskey, 44 in Livonia
    2704-22 is the one with the two 5.0 lithiums, and 1200 in-lbs, $150 bucks on Ebay all day long.

Sturat likes this.
  15. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

Mute point now, just checked and no longer on sale. Thought it was pretty cheap. There were some killer cyber Monday sales today. To bad the jobmax I want wasn't one of those deals.