close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

K-drill or Nils?

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by jsbowman, Nov 16, 2017.

1. jsbowman

jsbowman

Looking to get a new auger to replace my old Mora. Will be using my cordless drill to drive the auger. Any thoughts on the K-drill or the Nils?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    Sturat likes this.
  2. dirtyfisheyes187

dirtyfisheyes187

3. jsbowman

jsbowman

4. jimbo

jimbo

I have a Nils hand auger that I love. But the teeth on that K Drill looks mean.
    My question is, if your putting it on a drill, why not just get a less expensive laser?

Jimbo 09 likes this.
  5. jsbowman

jsbowman

Because I've hear the best reviews on the 2 I asked about. That's about it though.

6. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

If u go on YouTube the k-drill doesn't cut any faster than a nills fyi. They have done a few showdowns. Not saying it's true so take it at what it's worth. Also the manufacturer suggest using a Milwaukee fuel for the drill. Just some info for ya to consider

Burgundy

jsbowman likes this.
  7. Jim_MI

Jim_MI

I cannot comment on the K-drill, but have been using a 6" Nils with Milwaukee Fuel drill and Clam plate for the past 2 seasons. That setup works great for me. I still carry the Nils crank handle with me in case of battery or drill failure, but have not had to use that. I cannot imagine going back to manual or gas auger.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Sturat likes this.
  8. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

If you are only fishing panfish I wouldnt go any bigger than 6" auger. Less cutting area=less battery usage.

I have pulled 32" pike, 5 lbs bass, 15" crappie out of a 6" hole. Plenty big enough. The only time you need 8+" auger is for walleye.

I have a Milwaukee Fuel paired with a Nils 6" and absolutely love that setup. I have a 3 and 4 amp battery. I drill 60+ holes every time I hit the ice. Rarely have to swap batteries. Especially down state(South East). The only time I almost ran out of juice was when we fished St Helen last year, 16-18" of ice. I plan on getting at least one 5 amp for this season.

Sparky23 likes this.
  9. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

I use a ridgid hammer ,clam plate and a 5" auger... I still all kinds of holes and never had a problem.

10. docbas

docbas

I would go with the k-drill simply because it's cheaper to replace the blades.

jsbowman likes this.
  11. Jim_MI

Jim_MI

Well, there's that. Except you never really need to replace the Nils head if you take reasonably good care of it. I get mine professionally sharpened once every 2 years or so. As long as you avoid opening old holes (cigarette butts, sawdust, candy wrappers, whoknowswhat) and drilling in areas where sand has blown onto the ice, one sharpening will probably go through 500+ ft of hard ice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Sturat likes this.
  12. jsbowman

jsbowman

I was definitely taking that into consideration. I like to have a spare set of blades, because life happens.

13. jsbowman

jsbowman

The Nils is also 3#s heavier than the K-drill.

14. dirtyfisheyes187

dirtyfisheyes187

Also they sharpen your blades free of charge unless you’ve been drilling into rocks

Sturat and jsbowman like this.
  15. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

What drill will u be using?