Just got a bow... what do I need to know?

Discussion in 'Archery' started by Mark4486, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Mark4486

Mark4486

this weekend a buddy of mine gave me his reflex grizzly. I have never shot a bow or at least not seriously. I have to take it in to get it restrung and tuned for my size and ability. Before I go buy a bunch of crap I don’t need or do something stupid I would appreciate some tips. I am a long time hunter and plan on hunting deer with it if that helps.

Waif likes this.
  2. mattawanhunter

mattawanhunter

Congratulations and welcome to the Brotherhood of what has been my favorite past time for close to 40 years! There's nothing more rewarding then shooting your first deer with a bow and arrow!

I would take it to your closest small town archery shop with a good reputation that loves to help people!

If you do it now as opposed to the middle of September, there won't be much waiting in line and you should get good service!

Good to know there's friendships like this, where a buddy just gives you an awesome gift!

Jdhunttrapfish, imjon and Mark4486 like this.

3. Waif

Waif

Congrats!

Relax.

Find a good pro- shop. One that patiently works with beginners ,to ensure consistant form.....to watch you shoot at first.
    Trying to correct bad form or habits ,after they are established is not good.
    Do you want to use sights? Fingers or a release?( A Hoyt Grizz Reflx might allow fingers by it' s length.). Start simple and durable.

4. Mark4486

Mark4486

I’m 6’2” and I was hoping to use sights and a release. I live in warren is there a good shop near me... I won’t go to field and stream.

5. Waif

Waif

I'm on the opposite side of the state , though have been to Warren....it's a better question for folks over there.
    MJC Archery in Royal Oak (One exists in Macomb too.) might be worth a visit.
    Starlight Archery in Warren ,may not exist anymore?

6. Jeffish74

Jeffish74

If you had posted you just got a crossbow given to you. I'm sure wouldn't get the same kind of response. Some seem to hate on those who try something new they might enjoy.

http://morarchery.com/
    They are in Shelby at like 22 and Van Dyke. They will be able to set you up with everything you need. Let you try before you buy. Have very knowledgeable staff and will have you shooting bullseyes at there indoor range.
    Good luck hunting and remember deer don't stay motionless after you release the arrow.

mattawanhunter likes this.
  7. Waif

Waif

Not sure what response would follow a crossbow starter question. I' ve been using a crossbow a while.
    Question was not what to use or why.
    An archery shop helped alot when I bought a new vertical bow years ago and had problems going to pin sights.
    So, Helping others is kinda owed....

8. mjh4

mjh4

If I was you I'd start out by making sure the draw length and weight is set where you want it then pick up a good quality release shoot a few arrows and go from there. Then you could always change the sights or rest if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

9. michael marrs

michael marrs

Not familiar with the reflex grizzly, The Grizzly is a recurve, and generally speaking they are shot with tabs, or a glove. Is this a compound? I would go to a shop as posted, and youtube can be a great help, and after a short while you will seperate the facts from opinions, good luck, congrats on your new toy

10. Mark4486

Mark4486

I went to mjc in macomb today and had the guy their set me up. He checked my length and is re-stringing the bow. He was real nice and had no interest in selling me anything I didn’t need at my beginner level.

Joe Archer and Waif like this.
  11. Mark4486

Mark4486

It’s a compond

12. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

thats where i go, great guys

13. Waif

Waif

You are off to a good start.
    All you need to focus on for just a little while is your shooting form.
    After that ....as the very experienced "coach" at the former shop told me ,"those arrows go right where you point them."

Congrats. You are going to like shooting a bow. Maybe even get to where you are in a zone of your own so much when practicing , you like it for that alone.....

You might thank the guy who gets you set up and dialed in ,in time when you are happy with your set up. He probably ain't rich ,but likes knowing some one is getting the hang of shooting a bow.
    Remember his shop too ,if you get looking for a change in your set up ,or find something off in your form you can't figure out.
    A good shop that takes care of you is a prize.
    So are those bow owners who realize their potential and limitations. Both the bows potential and it's limitations ,as well as their own....

14. 454casull

454casull

Reflex was the Hoyt equivalent of "Mission".

otcarcher likes this.
  15. Jdhunttrapfish

Jdhunttrapfish

Practice alot, year round if you can, practice a little bit every couple days, shoot at ranges your comfortable and start close, dont rush your shots just take your time, have fun and good luck