close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

JON BOAT

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by huntmichigan, Apr 3, 2018.

1. huntmichigan

huntmichigan

Any one have any recommendations on a jon boat looking for one with a flat floor so your not standing on the ribs. Also what is everyone opinion on a jon boat vs a utility boat? what are the pros and cons of a jon boat as well.

2. 357Maximum

357Maximum

I have went to modified v flatbottoms, will never own a true flatbottom with a flat nose ever again. The floor is something you can add yourself if you have any amount of handy man within you. Mod v's will do everything a flatbottom will do, without getting you splashed/wet, and they handle so much better at high speeds, can actually split a wave instead of jumping it, etc, etc, etc. Get the biggest/widest one you can afford, the bigger/wider/longer they are the shallower you can run em with the same amount of weight in em.

3. Riverdude

Riverdude

^^^ Thats good advice right there.

357Maximum likes this.
  4. 357Maximum

357Maximum

Thanks, but I would call it some very expensive experience, and my Wife would agree with zero doubt. It took several rounds of "musical boat chairs" for me to figure that out. :lol: 1750 and 1872 are very good numbers for a mod v boat design. ;)

5. mjh4

mjh4

I've got a 14ft semi v bottom Starcraft aluminum boat that was made in the 60's I've had it 30years it's fairly heavy but doesn't leak a drop and cuts the waves pretty good compared to a full flat bottom boat. I've seen some of the newer boats that have all ready began to leak and aren't even 10 years old I would recommend a older semi v bottom boat like I said they are heavier but also seem to be built a lot better than most of the newer cheaply built boats. Semi v is a lot better in choppy water.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

Shoeman likes this.
  6. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

All depends on the use..... on a river, cool!

7. 357Maximum

357Maximum

I take my BARGE out of Muskegon and into the big lake quite often, only scared myself once coming back in right after the car ferry left. You cannot fully appreciate a big mod v until you have used one in other than the river applications.

8. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

Yes,

Not sure what size the OP settles on. 10’, or an 18..... ponds, or the big pond! Seemed like one of the smaller ones.

9. 357Maximum

357Maximum

I'd take a 14 foot canoe places I would never dream of taking a small 9-10 foot flatbottom pram, then things are just not stable. I intentionally swamped a 9.5 x 32" pram once just by standing on the transom. The 1432's are just as bad, but they are a riot in calm water with 25 ponies on the back. :lol: I am glad I lived through that adventure. :sad:

Shoeman and Scout 2 like this.
  10. Pasquan

Pasquan

I have a full flat bottom...if its windy or other boat making waves you get wet and beat on going around the lake haha

357Maximum likes this.
  11. scooter_trasher

scooter_trasher

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    mjh4 likes this.
  12. Matt V

Matt V

I have an Alumacraft Sierra 1648 modified V that came with an open Jon Boat 6.JPG aluminum floor. I added a center seat to it and love this boat. I use this thing all of the time. That being said, it is a ROUGH ride in any kind of waves.

13. slowpaya

slowpaya Premium Member

love my 16 ft mod v

14. raisinrat

raisinrat Outdoorblog.net Member Premium Member

I own one of those fancey mod-v flat bottoms from Ranger the RT198P I use it alot out here on Lake St. Clair and handles it like a dream(within reason). I have had it up as high as 62mph but normally I am in the 56 to 58 max speed when I am loaded up. They have some nice ulity models with floors already put in them that maybe worth a look if you have that kind of money. If not a DIY project isnt hard to do and make it very fishable.

https://www.rangerboats.com/aluminum/utility/mpv.html

This is me with my rig.
    [​IMG]

Me playing in some rough stuff last fall on a windy day.

15. bobberbill

bobberbill

My lower back aches just from watching that.