close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Jigging after dark

Discussion in 'Saginaw Bay and its Tributaries' started by mad hunter, Nov 13, 2017.

1. mad hunter

mad hunter

Just wondering what everyone thoughts are if it's worth jigging after dark? I'd like to go during the week after work but with work having come in at dark and leave at dark trying to figure out if i should try it in the boat or if they are up in the shallows and better off just casting. Id rather fish from the boat and I usually only fished morning.

2. Big Skip

Big Skip

Waste of time. Fish are feeding higher in the water column after dark.

Gone_Hunting and Bay BornNRaised like this.

3. Big Skip

Big Skip

Cranks are king after dark. Cover way more ground and target the aggressive fish

Bay BornNRaised likes this.
  4. 6667supersport

6667supersport

I have caught quite a few jigging after dark in the SCR drifting where there are lights so you can see your line. When we casted up there Saturday night we caught all of our bigger fish off the bottom, reeling a jig and plastic in real slow. Sure it can be done, just need to find an area that is well lit.

gatorman841 and Ralph Smith like this.
  5. 6667supersport

6667supersport

For the most part fish are feeding higher in the water column, but I have caught a lot of fish dragging a twister along the bottom. Some nights this is the only way to catch them or to finish a limit.

gatorman841 and Ralph Smith like this.
  6. Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith Premium Member

I've caught fish jigging after dark from shore, but not in a boat. usually shallower flats along the river. Cranks work great, especially if you see the fish surfacing and chasing minnows, then its game on! :). If you want to jig from a boat, I'd toss up to shore, and jig back like you would for bass. Should get plenty of eyes. And like I said, if you see fish swirling the water, toss some suspending huskys, xraps, etc. in the shallow lip version ;).

Deer Slayer, slowpaya and Micro-ice like this.
  7. mad hunter

mad hunter

Ok thanks for all the help sounds like I'll be better off waiting till the weekend for the boat.

8. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

9. mad hunter

mad hunter

Yeah I could but I'd rather jig trolled enough over the summer you know

10. hardwater_ben

hardwater_ben

SCR jigging at night is highly productive once the fish move north of the BW bridge. Purchase a bright head lamp and Bright anchor light and it’s game on. Assuming luck would be the same on Saginaw

6667supersport likes this.
  11. 6667supersport

6667supersport

I have thought about doing this more than once. Would much rather catch them with a rod than handline and catch them.