Jet Diver Questions

Discussion in 'Saginaw Bay and its Tributaries' started by bowfish, Jun 8, 2010.

1. bowfish

bowfish

Wanted to try using spoons on the bay and was told Jet Divers were the way to go for trolling them. I purchased two (fire-tiger patterned) at GM and thought they would come with instructions. No such luck. I usually fish around the sparkplug bouy in around 18-19 feet. Upon returning home from my 30 mile trip to the store, I found that the divers I purchased were stamped with a #40 (apparently dives to 40 ft) on the tip. Is this going to be too big of a diver for the depths I want or is it adjustable? Also, how do you hook them up and can they be used with anything else but spoons. All help appreciated

2. limige

limige

jets are designed to dive their marked depth at 100ft of line out. so maybe 30-40 ft back will do you? you'll have to play around and see where the fish are hanging.

of course speed and line dia will influence it as well.

personally i think they pull too much, i like inline wieghts but give them a try, maybe you'll like them.

3. white whale

white whale

bowfish,
    I use jets all the time with spoons and harnesses. They work great but I run 20's and once in a while a 30. If all you fish is 18ft to 19ft. I would return the 40's and get a couple 20's. They'll pull less. As far a depth it all depends on your leads(how much line you let out.) I don't have my trolling book with me to give you depths but the book is worth it's weight in gold!!!. I don't run spoons and harnesses at the same time because of speed issues but have run harnesses with great sucess. As far a rigging, tie your line to the snap with the fins. On the other I run a flora carbon leader about 5ft. to 6ft. long. I hope this helps some.
    Good Luck.

4. bowfish

bowfish

I figured I would have to return the larger size. So as far as the diver, It's pulled through the water like the jet is going backwards? Also what are the different holes for on the top and bottom? Is this some way of adjustng the depth? I already have the "Precision Trolling" pro-version ordered.

5. drs

drs

are jet divers in the pro-version? I would like to try them but think you need to get the deep water version for the dive curve.

6. jfishbones

jfishbones

I would also look at the new walker tripZ, they have a release so your not fighting the pull of hte diver and fish and they also float which is nice for setting out cross lines (let it float back, attach your inline planer and let her float over your other lines).

7. salmonslammer

salmonslammer

How does running 20# test line affect the dive curve on the jets?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. jfishbones

jfishbones

I am not expert but a jet diver to me is no differnet than a larged lipped crank bait in this regards. Mark Romenak's test showed that larger diameter line makes your bait or diver run shallower and thinner diameter makes it run deeper. More water resistance...... most of your line out floats towards the surface and then loops down to your bait, thicker the line the more of it floats thus lifting your bait up with it.

9. TheCrawdad

TheCrawdad Premium Member

10. ebijack

ebijack

20 ft out is about 3 ft shallower
    36 ft out is about 5 ft shallower
    46ft is about 7 ft shallower
    no one mentioned about running 1 ,2, 3 oz inlines attached to your main line then the jet. this will get them down alot deeper without as much line out. i don't have a curve for that as speed will really affect the depth. but it only takes 2 minutes to let out the jet ( no lure) tag bottom and you'll be able to divide the water column at the speed your at.

11. sixft4par

sixft4par

You need to play around with the lead lengths until you find what the fish want. The precision trolling deep water addition will have the dive curves you need. Test your reels to see how close the counters are.....too little, or too much line on the counter reels screws things up.

12. Stoney Point Layouts

Stoney Point Layouts

http://www.luhrjensen.com/downloads/tech-sheets/531JetDiver.pdf Is this what you were looking for?We run 40 jets alot on erie just shorten up your leads.I would suggest the next trip out start trolling normal speed that you do and let the jet out 10' out at a time till it hits bottom that will give you an idea.We run 30# power power with 8# diameter we can hit bottom at 45' leads in 19' of water.Going 2.7 mph over ground.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010