Jackson and irish hills ice fishing reports

Discussion in 'Icefishing LP inland lakes and rivers' started by jacktownhooker, Jan 5, 2015.

1. aacosta

aacosta

Thanks for the invite, just put it all away and started prepping the boat

2. Spacepuppy

Spacepuppy

It got down to 17 last night and fish should be shallow so I am going to drive around 1 more time before I put it all away for the year and prep for the walleye run.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

dawghughes, 6Speed and MISTURN3 like this.

3. Raylaser

Raylaser

You are die hard Space! Be careful out there dude, I know you know, just sayin'!! Good luck if you find a solid entry point to get on the shallows. Might be wise to wear waders out there, LOL!:confused:
    Regarding the Walleye Run, they are starting to show-up in the Maumee the last few days. Won't be long til it's on full tilt here in this area!

Spacepuppy likes this.
  4. Spacepuppy

Spacepuppy

Plenty of ice, not so plenty with the fish, oh and here's a tshirt pic :)
    Within earshot of 12
    No it's not going to be safe in a day
    The shamrock with me standing in it is to show that the ice was fine 5" of hard ice 20190319_103824.jpg 20190319_100924.jpg

No ice on most lakes is NOT safe!

5. Raylaser

Raylaser

Way to go Space!! Love that trusting stance in between those shamrock holes!! And BTW, is that a pic of your bait or is that a perch you caught? LOL!! Have fun brother (and don't over stay your welcome - that shore ice might deteriorate and leave you stranded, hee-hee). ;):p

6. aacosta

aacosta

Raylaser, you live by the maumee? Was thinking of heading down Thursday but worried rain tomorrow might have it blown out, maybe Sunday. Any thoughts? Thanks

7. Spacepuppy

Spacepuppy

That was the 2nd biggest catch of the morning, this being the "big" one. And I am only able to pull it off safely because I have carefully observed the lakes for many years and I know what my best bets for last ice are. I still spud my way out though and I am always looking for signs of weak ice that is safe now but might not be later, anything looks bad and off the ice I go. 20190319_103431.jpg

8. dawghughes

dawghughes

You wore the wrong T Shirt sunny days you gotta wear the bright colors to get em. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

Spacepuppy likes this.
  9. june bugger

june bugger

looks like a warmouth, ice is getting honeycomb from the looks of your picture

10. Raylaser

Raylaser

Yeah, I was just yanking your chain. From talking to you and reading your posts I knew you were using all your Spidy Senses to make out and back safely. Even though the fish didn't cooperate at least it was comfortable weather out there!!

Spacepuppy and 6Speed like this.
  11. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Careful guys....spring is sprung tomorrow.

Time to get the boats ready, don't forget your drain plug!

12. Raylaser

Raylaser

Hey AA, guys are fishing at most of the open places right now but a lot of the standard go to options are either closed or limited due to all the ice flow damage to the river bank and River Road itself. Lots of big ice chunks and debris along the bank as well. You should be able to fish it well enough Thursday unless the rain tomorrow is extremely heavy. The water is high and low vis right now but it will be that way for the next week even if there's no additional rain.

If you want to keep tabs on things for this area check out the Ohio Sportsman's threads for NW Ohio here:
    https://www.ohiogamefishing.com/forums/northwest-ohio-fishing-reports.6/

13. jacktownhooker

jacktownhooker

I was looking back at first ice fishing and added up to almost 2 months of ice fishing which was better than the one month we have had for last two years

dawghughes, CWlake and Spacepuppy like this.
  14. Spacepuppy

Spacepuppy

Agreed, it started late but the latest I have ever been on the ice in the hills was April 4 2015 and that was a epic winter so March 19th really ain't so bad.

jacktownhooker and dawghughes like this.
  15. CWlake

CWlake

I've seen a few good men walk out on 5"-6" of solid ice in the morning and by noon that same ice wouldn't hardly support their sled. A few never made it off. Just something to think about this time of year.

jacktownhooker likes this.