It’s hard to believe!

Discussion in 'MichiganTurkey.com' started by Flight of the arrow, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Flight of the arrow

Flight of the arrow Premium Member

Went to the hardware store and was talking to the guy who sold my son his ZZ tag, said yep we are sold out of the ZZ tag now! Couldn’t believe it and had to look for myself, 50,000 turkey tags sold.... wow!
    Flight

2. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

I'm thinking about abstaining from the shot, just to save the population. That's the story I'm currently keeping in my back pocket, anyway, just in case...:rolleyes:

It is shocking. What is average?

3. Namrock

Namrock

Serious? Wow didn't see that coming

4. Captain

Captain Team Yukon

Grindstone City(Fish),Oil City(Hunt),Macomb Twp.
  5. Botiz

Botiz

That’s nuts. I just looked it up and it looks like last season (2019) unit 301 sold 23,000 tags.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    LabtechLewis likes this.
  6. Playin' Hooky

Playin' Hooky

Wasn’t there a decrease in quota as well? 65K—>50K?

still a lot of licenses...

My son in law got a LO ZA tag last night. Used it already!

7. GADWALL21

GADWALL21

ZZ selling out is a byproduct of the Stay at Home Order. The DNR gave successfully drawn hunters the option to exchange their tag for another tag of their choice. Those unwilling to travel north probably chose ZZ to hunt close to home.

8. Ack

Ack

301 was sold out a week ago

9. justdandy

justdandy

10. timbrhuntr

timbrhuntr

Yup I checked a week ago just to see how many ZZ were left just in the event they open the border maybe the last week of May lol I saw SOLD OUT couldn't believe it. I was told by many that the ZZ hunt would never ever sell out lol

11. GADWALL21

GADWALL21

Never would without the stay at home.

12. Yankee#1

Yankee#1

Many people don’t read the digest until they think about getting their license, so I’m not sure this is all due to the Stay Home order.

The ZZ tag was a no-brainer if you live in the SLP and usually opt for 0234, the new ZZ tag gives you the best of both worlds. With that said, if that’s the case, then I would expect to see sales for 0234 drop compared to previous years.

Based on our hunter harvest success rate of ~30% and number of harvested birds, which is between 30-35k, Michigan usually sells ~100,000 spring tags. Less if you believe the survey data in the article published by DNR posted by L&O...

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    Bowhunt and bowhunter426 like this.
  13. hmrx

hmrx

Most years the kill has been 60 % in April and 40% in may. There is some research, that isn't complete, that suggests that killing too many dominant gobblers before the bulk of the breeding is done is bad. The old idea was april 20 when hens started to set. That's a week or 10 days early. We shoot too many april gobblers, most hens don't start setting until around the first week of may. This year with the license change the april harvest should be up. We kill many dominant, those with best genes, gobblers before a lot of hens are bred.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Botiz likes this.
  14. GADWALL21

GADWALL21

Correct, if you live or only can hunt in the SLP. For someone like me, & thousands more on here, that have places up north, 0234 is still the better option. I can hunt private land I have access to in the thumb & can run n gun on state land up north. Unfortunately I don’t get the extra 2 weeks ZZ allows.

15. wolfgang510

wolfgang510

The extra time for Zz was a big factor for us. All of my hunting circle got it. In the past I would usually wait for 234 and my dad would by an early tag.