Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by U of M Fan, Mar 21, 2009.

1. U of M Fan

U of M Fan Premium Member

My Dad is in the market for a crossbow and neither of us know much about them. So he went to Jays in Gaylord to shop around and was looking at a Ten Point (he said it was last years model, compound style). It came with a scope with 3 dots, thats the way he described it to me, 6 bolts w/broadheads for $750. He needs one with a crank so it also included an accue draw crank. Is this a good deal? He shot it and liked it.

2. redwingsdude

redwingsdude

Ten Point makes crossbows from $500 to $2000, he could be getting a great deal, or he could be getting taken, depends on the actual bow.

If this is his first crossbow, and he doesn't need top of the line, I think he can do better than $750, especially if its an older model. The real accu-draw, not the accu-draw 50 does make it worth more, but there at least 2 versions of the 3-dot scope, one a simple dot 40mm sight, one an actual scope. It all depends on the exact model and the package it comes with.

3. Liv4Huntin'

Liv4Huntin'

Do you know WHICH Ten Point (model name) it is? If you know, you could also go to Ten Point's website http://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/

Glad he's going to be able to be out in the archery woods! Ten Points are quality bows .... I don't thing he'd be disappointed with one, since you said he shot it and liked it there.

~m~

4. thongg

thongg

send me a pm i might be able to help you

5. TOW

TOW

The AcuDraw is a $200 accessory all by itself.

That sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

You will not be disappointed in a TenPoint crossbow..

6. lscha

lscha

I just bought an Excalibur Ibex after extensive research on forums and in the sporting goods stores (including Jays) MANY of my purchases have been through Jays (my candy store). Depending on the bow you decide on for maintenance you should check out the internet deals. Jays is great for after-purchase support but pricey for items that need minimal maintenance. I saved $41.00 buying online at a reputable dealer and that included shipping. Listen to the experienced crossbow users to decide. My decision was made because of my age and ability. Yours will be different. Good luck!!

7. Weekender#1

Weekender#1

I would like to think that a PSE or Horton package crossbow is all you need to get started, they perform very well and take plenty of deer down here in Ohio. Add a Red Dot or Red Dot Archery scope. We take most of the archery deer here in the buckeye state with X bows. So if you are looking to score a used bow look down here as we have been trading them around for years. I am glad to see you can now use them for most of your hunting in a few years that is what the majority will use for archery season. The excaliber X bows are awful big and hard to fit in the normal car or pick up cab with you, think of that diddy before you buy. Nothing against them my buddy bought one and we laughed as he had a heck of a time getting it home in his car.
    Have fun guys!

8. madmike22

madmike22

You saved $41 bucks and now you expect jays to provide you with service for something that someone else sold? I bet if you called the internet company you bought it from there service sucks. Its well worth the $41 dollars you saved to make sure a place like jays and many others are here next week, month and year to serve you. Buy local. This why alot of the mom and pop stores that provide great service are disappearing. If i was working at jays i would tell you to take it to your internet company and have them service it. And move on to the next guy that made a commitment to them buy buying his product there. The need to sell the items to stay around. They do not make alot of money on there service work. And i bet if you asked they would have came down $41 bucks.

9. Riva

Riva Banned

A lonesome area, other Kansans call "out there".
    No matter what brand/model that you ultimately chose here's something you should consider. Purchase your crossbow at the retailer that has a service department that is located closest to where you hunt (not necessarily your home). Yes, you may pay a few extra shekels but, it will pay for itself in clover if your bow ever breaks when you want/need it to hunt.

Or, you can do what some guys do (like me), own two crossbows.