Is there disease that affects just fawns?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Chuck, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Chuck

Chuck

We havent found any adult deer like this or seen any on the game cams, they are all healthy, just fawns born this year. The mom was coming around too but we havent seen her in a few days. Mom is easy to spot she has a white spot on her nose. But we usualy only see the mom in daylight once or twice a week.

2. Chuck

Chuck

I got a call back form the DNR bio and he wasent sure what it could be but said he would come get a carcass if its fresh to send to a lab. So I got his direct number and if we find one we will call him (I texted him a pick too). We havent seen this one in the pick in a few days so we are going to go out back tonight and look for her. Kinda sucks for next years crop of deer since we are down to two fawns in our immediate area. We are more worried about what this is though and hoping it stops soon. I would have put her down but havent seen her in the day light in a spot that i could shoot her. Feel bad seeing them go like this. She was healthy a few weeks ago too.

motdean and Goinpostal83 like this.

3. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

Had one early spring of 2018 that looked exactly like the fawn shown .It appeared blind and just licked the same spot like in this pic .We could walk up to it and talk and it seemed oblivious to us .It finally stumbled to the creek edge and lay down .It was dead the following morning .so i hauled it out to a remote spot and the yotes had it gone in two days . IMG_4266.jpg

4. Goinpostal83

Goinpostal83

Amazing how cruel nature can be.

Thirty pointer likes this.
  5. Chuck

Chuck

DNR came and picked up a fresh one that died a few days ago and he took the other one that died a few weeks ago. So they have two samples. He thought the older one looked fresher then the new one but she was in pretty bad shape and her eyes real sunken in. Sounds like the lab is backed up but hopefully we know in a few weeks or so. I will update again when~If I hear anything.

6. mjh4

mjh4

Did you ever find out what the cause of death was?

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

Goinpostal83 likes this.