Is there any ‘logical’ reason to not cut off several inches on this new rod?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Doughboy1, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

I built many spinning rods up to 9 foot. None of these rods did the rod butt extend beyond my elbow.

I have 2 St Croix 8 1/2 foot trolling rods. These handles are just too long and keep thinking of cutting 4 to 6 inches off. But I want the total length to help with dipsey rods spread.... grrrrr....

Far as balance on the OP. If the rod becomes tip heavy glue some lead into the butt till you get the balance you want.

2. PunyTrout

PunyTrout Staff Member Mods

I had to remove about 6 inches off the butt end of one of the old Kencor rods I scored on Ebay. It works great now.

I think some rods have that long grip behind the reel to help fit into a rod holder maybe.

Dunno. All I know is it was a pain to cast because it kept hitting me on my waist.

Lop it off, cap it and it should be fine.

Just be careful when making your cut to accommodate the new cap to line up with the existing grip.

3. Quack Addict

Quack Addict

I think you want to use a high speed cut off wheel (i.e. die grinder). A toothed saw will break the fibers of the blank and the cracks will propagate over time.

frenchriver1, Plumman and tincanary like this.
  4. JimP

JimP Hunter gatherer Premium Member

Formerly Rochester Hills, Finally! Wellston
    A couple of my St. Croix steelhead rods were 3"-4" too long for comfort with winter coats and/or waders...
    If you cut into the wider foam or cork portion of the butt, put the cut off piece in your pocket and go to the plumbing section of the hardware store. There should be a good supply of various sized plastic pipe caps in white, tan or gray to size match. Also, if you want black, I've used those nylon floor protectors that go on metal chair legs. A little strategic trim on the foam or cork, or internal sanding on the cap, maybe an internal bushing on the blank...a bit of Gorilla glue and you're good to go.

5. mjh4

mjh4

I've cut rods using a high speed Dremel with a thin grinding disc It makes a good clean cut. If it was me I would trim it down to where you want it. Put a little epoxy over the cut end and your good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

6. Doughboy1

Doughboy1

Well....I used it for a couple more days and it didn’t bother me as much. Guess... I’ll keep it this way for a while.

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman

Hook and Ladder likes this.
  7. Stand By

Stand By

If you had an old rod to sacrifice, you could Dremel out the short section between the wraps, cut a piece off the old rod and use it for an insert. epoxy together with wrap meeting wrap. If it's still too long after that, then just cut it off again and plug the hole.

8. frenchriver1

frenchriver1 Mr. Flatfish Premium Member

I had one of our MS members build a spinning rod for me with the butt extended such that it rests against my forearm when I'm fighting big cats on the Saginaw river. It just gives me additional leverage and purchase and is less tiring than trying to hold the rod with just my hand

9. AntiHuntersLoveMe

AntiHuntersLoveMe Premium Member

Agree. With the extra length that butt section rests perfectly on the forearm. For me it makes for better hook sets when jigging. I try to pull their heads off

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

10. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

All my big fish rods, surf, steelhead rod were made to where the butt capis just forward of me elbow. No reason ( for me anyway) to extend beyond for spinning.

11. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

It is a leverage thing for landing fish by yourself much like a solo angler would in a tournament. The butt end typically should extend near your elbow. That allows toy to horse a fish through weeds or control a fish one handed while you reach the for the net or try to land the fish one haded. The split handles are popular for weight reduction and proper balance with the reel.