Is there any ‘logical’ reason to not cut off several inches on this new rod?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Doughboy1, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Doughboy1

Doughboy1

IMG_1961.JPG

Just bought this combo and tried it out yesterday. I like it. However, I use a sit inside kayak and it makes me hold my hands up a bit higher than is comfortable. Will I be messing up the balance or something if I just hack off 4 inches or so? What is the logic of a foot of worthless rod behind the reel?

By the way.... excuse the dust on my yak. This is my working kayak. My Sunday Go to Meeting kayak is much cleaner.

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2020
  2. -Axiom-

-Axiom- Premium Member

I vote for do it.

You'll need an end cap so stuff doesn't get in the blank.

3. tincanary

tincanary

Do it. Fishing isn't as fun if you're uncomfortable.

4. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

I’d talk to a rod builder just to see what they think. There are a couple on here. I have no idea what it would do if you cut the butt section out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

No reason not too. You can use a butt cap or if you cut flush with the foam plug the rod blank with epoxy...

6. Shoeman

Shoeman Mods

It might hurt the balance some, but if it’s annoying....

boomer_x7 likes this.
  7. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

My brother that has built rods for years built me a rod like that as a gift. We were fishing together one time. The long butt kept catching on my clothes. He said 'Who built that rod?" I told him " You DID!"

He took it back to his shop and cut the butt shorter. It is now a pleasure to use.

Plumman likes this.
  8. bapotter

bapotter

It will slow the action and be slightly less powerful. If that doesn't bother you hack away.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

9. Hook and Ladder

Hook and Ladder

Way better to cut 6" off the butt than off the other end. If it was a $300 combo may have to think about it but if it is a less expensive model why not. Let us know what you do and how it works.

10. Doughboy1

Doughboy1

It’s a $55 Abu Garcia combo. Still... I think I’ll just use it a few more times
    . I might get use to it.

But.... at least I have some opinions now, other than mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

11. piketroller

piketroller

Find a rod with a Tennessee handle first and try that. You can put the reel anywhere on the handle you want and see if it’s comfortable. If you like it, you can cut all your rods down. If not, we’ll you just saved all your other rods.

12. koditten

koditten

Why do so many spinning rods come with that stupid long butt grips. I hate them as well. I actually would rather use a fly rod with a spinning reel before using one of those monstrosities.

Cut it off and never look back.

13. tincanary

tincanary

The market (aka bass fishermen) currently likes longer handles for some reason. I prefer shorter handles myself and tend to seek out rods with them. In other markets, shorter handles are much more common. One that I really miss is the pistol grip, there's probably less than 5 rods out there you can buy brand new with it. Years ago that was all you could find.

14. piketroller

piketroller

I’ve got six pistol grip rods. Four in ML and two are M action. They definitely have their places.

DirtySteve and tincanary like this.
  15. Hook and Ladder

Hook and Ladder

I actually had one of my favorite jigging rods lose 6" at the tip. That's what l was referring to. I had to move and rewrap a couple eyelets and put a new tip on it. It went from a ML 7' to a 6'6" H quickly. I fished several years with it before retiring it. I like a longer handle river fishing just for stability fighting a fish but bass fishing not necessary. Wasn't knocking any fishing equipment. I have modified a couple rods. Sometimes it works better sometimes not. Be safe. Any day fishing beats working.

koditten and tincanary like this.