Is there a minimum lot/land size for deer hunting?

Discussion in 'Questions about MI Hunting/Fishing Law' started by Waxdart, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Waxdart

Waxdart

I believe there was a time where you had to have a minimum of 5 acres to hunt but that was changed and there is now no minimum (as long as all other rules are followed regarding proximity to other buildings).

Is that right?

I would like a link to the law if possible.

Thanks.

2. Waif

Waif

Out side of the 450 feet rule no recollection of lot size required to allow hunting other than at one time an acreage requirement for doe permit applications. That was if memory correct, last restrictions in effect a five acre minimum ,followed in time with two neighbors allowed to combine 2 1/2 acre lots to make 5. Now no minimum it seems.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013

3. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Never a minimum to hunt. There was a minimum to apply for an antlerless permit at one time. You can see how that has changed over the years by visiting the DNR site.

L & O

4. Rainman68

Rainman68

Which area are you talking about? There are restictions in certain counties and townships.

5. Waxdart

Waxdart

Washtenaw County.

I'm in an unrestricted farm/hunting area.

6. Downriver Tackle

Downriver Tackle Banned

Yep. Even though I'm out in the woods and clear on distances from buildings, I'm technically in a subdivision where I live and cannot hunt by township ordinance.