Is the baiting ban being enforced?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting Regulations, Proposals, and Law Debat' started by shell waster, Oct 30, 2020.

1. shell waster

shell waster

Only reason I ask is I was in my local feed/seed and overheard a worker tell a customer "we are getting our 7th transport load of bulk beets and sold more this year already than any other year"....7 transport loads??? Wow lots of bait going to the UP...I guess?

2. fishx65

fishx65

Baiting and recreational feeding is still going strong up in Lake County.

3. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Not that I've seen. They probably only ticket folks if they accidentally find one close to the road.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    Sparky23 likes this.
  4. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

5. Sparky23

Sparky23 Banned

Very small percentage I'd guess. That said yet to find one this year hunting primarily public. Private different story unfortunately

6. bucko12pt

bucko12pt

Local spot near us has gotten several semi loads of beets and has been selling same by the tractor scoop. Also, beets, carrots and apples by the bag.

I’m sure they’re not all going to the UP.

DNR flew their own drones and also hired contractors last year looking for bait piles, or following up on leads. There were some surprised hunters on opening morning.

QDMAMAN, JPWARD and stickbow shooter like this.
  7. Rainman68

Rainman68

Drones cannot be used without a search warrant. This was discussed last year.

RLWagner and jonnyb like this.
  8. Sasquatch Lives

Sasquatch Lives

Haven't found any illegal piles on public that last couple years. Most illegal baiting must be going on in private land. Hows the CO gonna check if the gate is locked to the property?

9. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

Eyewitness by neighbor is most likely reason but it has to be visible from their property .This happened with a gal my wife worked with .She swept acorns from the driveway and placed them in front of her blind and a neighbor was watching and turned her in .She got busted but the judge threw the case out stating acorns were a natural food all over the woods .Go figure .

10. Sasquatch Lives

Sasquatch Lives

Must suck to have a neighbor like that.

11. bucko12pt

bucko12pt

Are you sure that’s the case for public lands? I have a friend that worked for the DNR last year flying his drone. I’ll clarify with him the situation.

I’m aware of the situation flying them over private land.

12. Rainman68

Rainman68

I did the research last year, do your due diligence search for yourself. Google is your friend.

13. Mole Hill

Mole Hill

What is the daily bag limit for drones?

fowlharvestor likes this.
  14. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

I have been grouse hunting in 5 counties in northern lower. 2 counties in UP. Covered way more ground than I normally do in a season. I have yet to see a baitpile this season in NLP. I find that amazing because last season I easily saw well over a dozen. Grouse tend to hang close to bait piles. They like corn. They also peck at sugar beets and apples. It is common for me to find a baitpile nearby when my dog points a Grouse.

I saw 2 baitpiles on my 3 day hunt in the UP both were typical illegal piles with 20-25 gallons of bait. Not spread out at all. Both sites had the bait in two locations near a single stand. I have still never seen a legal baitpile since the 2 gallon rule went into effect.

15. AlR

AlR

So what if a neighbor flys his drone over, sees a bait pile, and calls it in??

Chessieman likes this.