close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is "Info and call-in procedures on crossing the border by boat" sticky still relevant?

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by marty59, Jan 10, 2018.

1. marty59

marty59

Hasn't the call-in for US citizens fishing in CA waters gone away? If so, the sticky should either be updated or deleted.

Marty

2. WALLEYE MIKE

WALLEYE MIKE Staff Member Mods

As far as I know still have to call in when landing ashore or meeting up with another boat.
    No need if fishing (and not anchoring ?)

auger and sureshot006 like this.

3. sureshot006

sureshot006

Mike is right. Still valid ONLY if touching land, another vessel, or anchoring.

4. lastflight

lastflight

Has anybody called in and said they were going to anchor? I have never done it and wondering what the repercussions might be.

5. marty59

marty59

I think the sticky gives does not convey that calling in is ONLY required for those touching land, another vessel, or anchoring and is not required for "just" fishing. JMHO

You may want to add some additional text to the sticky ;) (obviously a slow winter for me LOL) for those less informed!

Marty

6. sureshot006

sureshot006

No, but there is no repercussion. They may ask you to report to a physical customs agent at a location of their choosing. Major PITA.

lastflight likes this.
  7. lastflight

lastflight

That is really what I am wondering, if they want to you come "check in" if you plan to anchor. If that is the case it's probably not worth it unless you are very close to the check in location.

sureshot006 likes this.
  8. sureshot006

sureshot006

Right. Actually I had asked the "boots on the ground" out there when they stopped me to check for call in number when it was required... They said the US might require you to call them to come back because you "landed" in Canada. They did say it was unlikely they'd hassle you, but it was definitely possible. In my mind that meant "do not anchor unless you want a major headache".

lastflight likes this.
  9. Neubys

Neubys

So here is my experience since the law changed. If you are only fishing/passing through canadian waters you do not have to call in and declare your arrival.

If you are going ashore, dropping anchor, or mooring up with another boat that is anchored you have to do the following:
    Go to a port of entry and tie up to a dock.
    Call in and declare your arrival.
    They will ask you all the same questions that they used to ask and what port you are at.
    Then you will receive your call-in number.
    After that you can proceed to where it is you are going to hangout/anchor.

When the law first changed not all agents were up to speed. I have had the border service on the cell phone while I was in the port, but not yet tied up to the dock tell me to call back after tying up to the dock and then hang up. My wife and I have several friends in Canada and meet up on the boats throughout the summer in Canadian waters. It is an inconvience having to go to a port and tie up, but that's they way it works. It's better than getting caught not reporting in.

10. Jon Bondy

Jon Bondy Sponsor

To me it just went back to the way it was. Meet up with a boat, anchor or go ashore and you're in Canuckville and need to call.

gatorman841 and sureshot006 like this.