Is Harsens worth hunting?

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by BucksDucks&Badd, Nov 18, 2019.

1. waxico

waxico

For those concerned about the baiting on Walpole, you'll be relived to know the abuse doesn't happen on the scale it was going on 15 years ago. Corporate entertainment money has dried up, and with it the amount of hunters going over. The Oaks Inn in Wallaceburg, where all the hunters going out with the Indians would stay, was shut down in a major licensing scandal. They would hand out licenses to anyone, Hunter's Safety of not. It's now a nursing home. I can hear much less shooting over there versus years past.
    If I were to guess, the number of hunters over there is down...70%?
    And less hunter numbers = less $$$ = less corn.

Wolverine423 likes this.
  2. Wolverine423

Wolverine423

3. grassmaster

grassmaster

hunted some dynamited bait holes in the cattails at walpole before in the 90s, thousands of empty cobs floating everywhere.
    guides never wore camo and slept while you hunted, then they take you on a pitch dark roost shoot in the evening.
    they would save the good spots for the auto bigwigs,I remember every guides last name was Sands.

TheHighLIfe likes this.
  4. waxico

waxico

They didn't bother with cobs, they had 50# bags of cracked corn.
    And to your point about roosts, just last Saturday I heard them shooting until 6:00PM.

5. TheHighLIfe

TheHighLIfe

samie
    good to see you at the draw
    i did not fire a shot, did you? haha

6. TheHighLIfe

TheHighLIfe

wax
    you went inside early
    we still heard shooting at 745pm

7. Jerry Lamb

Jerry Lamb

I’ll stop by to say hi this Sunday. Sorry it took so long.
    I figured out it was you that I thought was trying to pass me that day. Thought it was a citiot.

8. labman1127

labman1127

I hunted Walpole the week of Thanksgiving and it is nothing like it used to be. Many of the Indian guides have left the game and my guide told me they only have about 25% of the hunters they had coming up there in the 90’s.
    Yes they still bait, but nothing like it used to be. I think the invasive fragmite plants have really taken a toll on their hunting area. Many of the “ponds” they used to shoot have been completely choked in. Plus the high water in recent years has washed out many of the dikes and roads they had on the island to access the marsh so their hunting area has really shrunk. The other big factor up there is St Ann’s club and Big Shooters club are no longer operational nor hunted so they are literally massive refuges for the birds. The birds lay up in the old clubs during day and hit the grain fields at night never to be seen by the hunters.
    I will say the guides up there are pathetic excuses for guides but they do have a great resource to hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Far Beyond Driven likes this.
  9. TheHighLIfe

TheHighLIfe

Hunted Saturday am, Sunday pm, Tuesday pm, Wednesday pm, and today pm. 5 days.
    Grand total of 4 opportunities to shoot.
    Fortunately i got 3, knocked down a crip which dove, and hit another twice that righted itself and flew off.
    I see more action watching grass grow - in December! Haha

10. Ducks10

Ducks10

hunted yesterday pm never pulled the trigger.

11. Fastredgmc

Fastredgmc

All this past week on the island. One of best final weeks ever had and one of the better ones for us this year.
    Tried again this morning and took a zone away from the crowd but ice in the canals prevent us from getting out. Dog wasn't happy to go home.
    How's that grass growing Don? LoL

Attached Files:

duckcommander101 and dinoday like this.