??? Is early doe season on public?

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by wildcoy73, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

Muzzleloading Deer Seasons An individual hunting deer with a muzzleloading firearm during the muzzleloading deer season shall only possess or carry afield, or take a deer with a crossbow, muzzleloading rifle, muzzleloading shotgun, or black-powder pistol, loaded with black-powder or a commercially manufactured black-powder substitute. Exception: Zone 3 is open to all legal firearms, including the full counties of Oceana, Newaygo, Mecosta, Isabella, Midland, and Bay. Only certified hunters with a disability may use a crossbow or a modified bow during the muzzleloading season in the Upper Peninsula, except in the UP Core CWD Surveillance Area where crossbows may be used. See “Archery Deer Seasons” for possession and carry of firearms during the coinciding late archery deer season.
    https://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/hunting_and_trapping_digest_461177_7.pdf
    It's a little confusing at first. But certain counties are set aside for "all legal firearms".

2. Uncle Boopoo

Uncle Boopoo

But that only applies to muzzleloader season and not late antlerless season.

The way it’s worded, late antlerless season is only open to private land, except in Zone 3 where you can use a muzzleloader on public land.

If you could use any legal firearm on public land during late antlerless season, it would say that. But it doesn’t. It specifically says muzzleloaders are allowed on public lands.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    Nostromo and bowhunter426 like this.

3. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

I'm so glad they simplified these rules ( crazyeyes thingy)

4. wildcoy73

wildcoy73

I'm just glad to see it is not open on public for the early season, and the youth hunt is a few weeks before the bow opener.
    should allow my early scouting to pay off a bit, and allow myself to move as the deer transition to the orange army influx that start in November.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

5. jacksonmideerhunter

jacksonmideerhunter

No freaking kidding...
    Why don't they just make it a combo tag, restricted/non restricted, and if you want to shoot a doe, gotta get a doe tag, if they are available for the area...Statewide, same for gun and bow, and all seasons, if they want to simplify.

stickbow shooter likes this.
  6. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

Unfortunately, the early antlerless is only private. :(
    <----<<<

Sam22 likes this.
  7. wildcoy73

wildcoy73

thankfully. it would of been bad for public lands.
    Sent from my SM-N960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

8. Uncle Boopoo

Uncle Boopoo

All of the new antlerless options should be private land only! Overpopulation was never an issue on public hunting lands.

9. Chessieman

Chessieman

To late now, there is going to be a LOT of Deer deserts now!

10. ridgewalker

ridgewalker

The digests are as clear as mud.

11. bigdoedown

bigdoedown

i bet our gov Whitler helped write them....hahahahaha

12. thegospelisgood

thegospelisgood

I'm glad the regs help these poor animals survive in some capacity. Not sure how else they will evade predators without regs. It'd be a real slobber-knocker out there.