Is CWD 100% Fatal??

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Justsayin, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

I doubt that you will find many on this site, or on the planet that agrees with that sentiment.
    <----<<<

2. Justsayin

Justsayin

I don't agree with that statement, taken out of context. My point is simply that the disease and its' impacts are being overstated and misrepresented by wildlife agencies and by leaders in our hunting organizations. It seems that by doing this, we are losing any ability to manage the disease.

In case you were serious, statements from this planet... "CWD has the potential to prevent many populations of wild deer, elk and other cervids from thriving in the long-term" (Boone & Crocket) "CWD may lead to local extinctions of infected deer populations if left unmanaged." (CWD Alliance) as well as many more from various wildlife agencies have suggested CWD will wipe out herds. Their words, not mine.

3. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Local extinction... lol wow they must not know how long it takes for CWD to kill an animal. The only local extinction would be FROM "management" in the form of mass killing.

ridgewalker likes this.
  4. Sparky23

Sparky23

And how do you know it hasnt already been here for hundreds or thousands of years? I mean who would think deer had disease before we tested for it. But let's kill them all. Should kill them all in your county to so that it cant be spread there.

5. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

Well, killing them all in a county would more than likely be to keep it from spreading to there.
    However, I am in no way and advocate for "killing them all". I think it is best to reduce populations to limit prevalence while not protecting yearling bucks to help limit spread.
    To this post, if you think waiting around for natural selection to help out.... I think you will be waiting for a long long time.... maybe even longer...
    <----<<<

swampbuck likes this.
  6. Sparky23

Sparky23

Well out west it's been found since the 60s. And guess what they still have a healthy population. Do you honestly believe that there was no cwd before they tested for it here? That there isnt disease in animals? It has probably been around since the beginning of deer. Just like ehd. Guess what there are still deer.

otcarcher and sniper like this.
  7. G20man

G20man Banned

But it's more fun telling others they are wrong without knowing if they themselves are right.

vsmorgantown likes this.
  8. mbrewer

mbrewer

I know at least one thing. There is zero evidence that CWD existed prior to the original discovery. Zero evidence. A belief founded on such a naked assumption taints everything it touches. Especially any argument detailing what prescriptive measures should or should not be applied.

9. Sparky23

Sparky23

And where is your evidence they tested for something they didnt know about before it? Have you never came across a dead deer in the woods that died of natural cause...its angering the stupidity people buy into

otcarcher and sniper like this.
  10. Sparky23

Sparky23

They are sure they are right? I know for a fact deer have had disease and have died of natural cause since the beginning of time. Do you know for a fact they havent?

11. sniper

sniper

Dish7 likes this.
  12. mbrewer

mbrewer

Depends, your statement implies that there was something relevant to this discussion to be ignorant of. What would that be?

13. sniper

sniper

Did you skip reading post 31??

Sent from my LG-H871 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

14. on a call

on a call

I am just as likely to be wrong...but I might be right :)

15. G20man

G20man Banned

No I don't and why I'm not arguing about it.
    I try to avoid talking about things I don't know much about.