Is another store run on in your area?

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by Oldgrandman, Nov 23, 2020.

1. B.Jarvinen

B.Jarvinen Premium Member

Gitchyour Ramen Noodles, Mac-N-Cheese, & Chicken Nuggets stash built up before the left-overs run out this weekend.

I found grocery shopping rather amusing this past spring. The more brainless the “food” item, the harder it was to find on a shelf.

2. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mod

I'd bet most labs will eat it. Is there anything a lab won't eat?!

bobberbill likes this.

3. sureshot006

With a shopping list like that I'd think the TP aisle would be priority #2 if you know what I mean.

4. sureshot006

Had an issue getting dried bread chunks. thats about it so far. My wife scoffed at drying sliced bread in the oven for a few minutes so I guess we can't make her stuffing recipe lol. Whats surprising is the sheer number of vehicles in the parking lots of stores. And for all the people that are supposedly working from home now per directive, there are sure a lot of cars on the roads period.

5. wyandot

wyandot

No idea how they've kept the doors open as long as they have. I stop in there about once a month, but that's just to grab a batch of fried chicken from the deli.

6. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer Banned

We did our Thanksgiving shopping last week. We have had a bit of a problem with our normal shopping. We always lay in a "winter stock" of paper products, etc., before I am laid off from my summer job. It took several trips to the store to accomplish that.

Same with ground beef. We buy several of the "tubes" of ground at Sam's club. We cook them all up at one time, with onions in the mix, then freeze the cooked ground in 3/4 pound packs. Makes is easy to whip something up for dinner. Sam's rarely has those tubes anymore and their meat section is more empty than full.

7. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer Banned

The "news" is going on this morning with the warnings about panic buying. Stoking up the lemmings again.

jiggin is livin likes this.
  8. Fishndude

Fishndude

I started buying Sirloin Roasts at Sam's, and grinding my own beef, a few years ago. The end product is a lot better-tasting than the tubes of ground beef they (used to) stock. I package it into 1# and 2# portions, and freeze in quart ziplocs for easy-to-use sizes for recipes. I don't cook it ahead of time. I bought a smallish meat grinder years ago for around $100. It has ground up probably 10 deer, several 100#'s of pork, and maybe 1000# of beef, so far. I have no interest in buying ground beef again. It does take a bit of work to go through a roast, and trim out the connective tissue. I can do a nice job with a 12# roast in under an hour. 90% lean ground beef sounds gross to me, anymore. And I can slice some of it thin to make pepper steak, or stroganoff; and cut some into chunks for stew, chili, or shish kabob.

Lever4ever, TK81 and Oldgrandman like this.
  9. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer Banned

That's not a bad idea.

We pre-cook for time saving down the road. One afternoon and it's done. Then, when you get home from work, and remember you forgot to take something out for dinner, you grab some precooked ground, it thaws very quickly, throw some stuff in and it's dinner.

Ricky Missum and jiggin is livin like this.
  10. bobcolenso

bobcolenso Premium Member

We had a well stocked pantry (food, TP, soaps) before all this Covid stuff started and keep both freezers mostly full.

Now I'm thinking BULLETS!!! More bullets. FMJ's and hollow points.

11. bobcolenso

bobcolenso Premium Member

That's exactly what I do. And chicken also. I'll cube up three breasts, season it then "fry" it up in Zesty Italian dressing, then freeze that. I use that in several different dishes

DanSS26 and sureshot006 like this.
  12. Petronius

Petronius Premium Member

We usually go to the stepson’s for Thanksgiving but it cancelled because his son has COVID. Oh well, now I don’t have to look at turkey, green beans and yams. Can’t stand that food. I have no idea why they bother to cook that since I don’t think it’s their favorite.
    Our biggest decision is which Chinese take out place to carry out from. I prefer that over turkey.

sureshot006 likes this.
  13. sureshot006

I was just joking the other day that people only choose turkey on Thanksgiving because they're supposed to, not because its what everyone wants.

piscatorial warrior likes this.
  14. Oldgrandman

Oldgrandman Woods and Water Rat Premium Member

Try this, better the next day.

Enchilada suuce

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup vegetable oil
    • 2 tablespoons self-rising flour
    • 1/4 cup New Mexico or California chili powder (wtf? used regular)
    • 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
    • 1 1/2 cups water
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
    • salt to taste
    Directions

1. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in flour and chili powder, reduce heat to medium, and cook until lightly brown, stirring constantly to prevent burning flour.

2. Gradually stir in tomato sauce, water, cumin, garlic powder, and onion salt into the flour and chili powder until smooth, and continue cooking over medium heat approximately 10 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Season to taste with salt.

BILC likes this.
  15. Oldgrandman

Oldgrandman Woods and Water Rat Premium Member

Best stuffing bread is week and a half old Hillbilly bread de-crusted & cubed. We never buy the boxed bread.

sureshot006 likes this.