Is 350 legend better for deer hunting than 450

Discussion in 'General Michigan Hunting' started by Jay Davenport, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Jay Davenport

Jay Davenport

I been looking at 450 bushmasters for awhile now to hunt this year with to replace using my muzzleloader or slug gun. I narrowed it down to the savage 110 haymaker, but my friend bought a 350 savage axis and is trying to convince me that the 350 would be better. I have been looking at effective ranges and both seem to be capable of what I will be shooting. I'm thinking 200 yard max maybe 250 I doubt I could shoot 300 yards. I hunt mostly out of ladder stands, and home made brushed in ground blinds. Is there a real benefit going 450? or should I just buy a savage 350? I am not afraid of recoil either just want to get the most accurate weapon that will put the deer down.

2. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Buy a box of ammo for your buddies 350 Legend and shoot it. Then immediately shoot your slug gun. One is a joy to shoot the other isn’t. The only way to be able to shoot accurately past 200 yards is practice. Think about that after shooting your slug gun. Practice shooting accurately from your tree stand past 200 yards.

3. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

Either will kill deer just as dead... "We" can't tell ya which one you want..
    I'm buying the 350 that's on sale now at cabelas. Why because it's a rifle for 250$! Scope probably junk so will upgrade that but I'll still kill with my slug gun and my muzzleloader :) buy which ever you want and practice with said weapon..

4. Jay Davenport

Jay Davenport

I was looking to buy that as well but can only find it in Wisconsin. That looks to be a solid deal for 250. I was also looking at a winchester xpr 350bwith vortex scope for 660.

5. Houndhunter12

Houndhunter12

I bought the savage 350 axis last November at Ben's in Marlette. The gun was 285 with a scope. I got 2 boxes of ammo and a 75 dollor mail in rebate from savage for 25 year anniversary. I shot a 3.5 year old buck and 2 does with it, and not one took a step. But my longest shot was 75 yards. I love it!!

roger15055 and snortwheeze like this.
  6. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

If you have a chance to hunt a T. rex buy the 450. If you have any question about the 350 Legend’s ballistic ability search out the 357 Remington Maximum. It’s basically the same round. Both kill deer sized game just as dead with one shot.

roger15055 likes this.
  7. Bow hunter on a Mission

Bow hunter on a Mission Premium Member

im in the same boat right now trying to decide. I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube videos on both trying to decide. For penetration go 350 for pure shock power go 450. I’m kind of leaning towards 450 right now despite these videos because I’ve heard guys are having better luck at 200 yards with accuracy on the 350. But that could just be rumor. I’m not too concerned with recoil so that’s what I’m thinking. But take a look at these videos and see what you think. The water jug one will probably be the most helpful.

8. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Ammo for the .450 is more expensive than the .350.

How often do you practice shooting 200 yards, or beyond?

roger15055, azelkhntr and snortwheeze like this.
  9. o_mykiss

o_mykiss

I have been debating this as well and reading posts on here and elsewhere is really making me lean to the 350

Cheaper ammo, easier to shoot/less recoil, 99% of deer are shot under 200 yds in this state anyways.

jiggin is livin and roger15055 like this.
  10. Jay Davenport

Jay Davenport

I usually practice 100 yard shots, but will look to dial either of these out to 200. I do hunt some field edges i may get a 200 to 250 yard shot at. I am kind of leaning toward 350 now that I been researching them. I'm looking at winchester xpr with vortex scope, savage axis 2 with bushnell, or rugers ranch, and go wild and putting a leopold on. Money wise I like savage, then xpr is in middle and ruger combo will cost most, but i would also prefer to buy the right combo the first time. I also like idea of small and nimble ruger ranch with the soft shooting 350, not dure how much difference length of barrel makes on 350 effective range and accuracy. Thanks for the help I appreciate the feedback and advice.

11. o_mykiss

o_mykiss

There's a super long thread (like 50 pages) on the 350 legend with lots of great info

I'm currently debating if I want to get a Savage Axis II bare rifle and a 200ish dollar scope, the Savage 110 Apex XP combo with the Vortex Crossfire, or the CVA Scout Takedown and a 200ish dollar scope.

I think the Ruger Ranch is ugly as sin and I have heard they are a little pickier on ammo, so I ruled that out.

Availability seems hit or miss on a lot of these 350 legends

12. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

Dialing up will not help with wind drift.

I have the Axis II. It is very accurate. I did change the stock, I just could not get really comfortable with the factory stock. I put on a Boyd's. It feels better now.

big buck 75 likes this.
  13. Botiz

Botiz

I just bought a Savage 110 stainless in .350. I picked up a box of Hornady American Whitetail 170 grain soft points. Any other recommendations to try out before the season rolls around?

d_rek and 12Point like this.
  14. GATORGETTER

GATORGETTER Premium Member

I must be in the minority of folks who aren’t impressed with the .350’s. My dad has one and it’s been nothing but a headache, both mechanically and killing deer. Misfires and follow up shots to finish them off.

jiggin is livin likes this.
  15. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

I love my Axis II. Last year I shot the Winchester XP 150 bullets. They did well. This year I have decided to go "lead free" and I am going to buy some of the 160 ammo from Bear Creek Ballistics'

NonTypicalCPA and Botiz like this.