close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ion Ice Augers

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by springpoint, Jan 24, 2018.

1. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Ions use lithium batteries too. I lay mine on the ice, battery up, in front of a shanty window with the battery attached just like I did my gasoline Strikemaster for 20 years. I've still never had a battery issue.

I bought the little battery lunch box gizmo thinking I'd need to use it with some hand warmers to keep the battery up. It was a waste of money and it's laying in my shanty now just taking up room and adding weight. I think I'll pitch it unless there's a sucker here that wants to buy it!

2. Abbeydog

Abbeydog

I think it may be how the manufactures build the cct boards, programmed to protect the cells etc ...or maybe just the electronic components sensitive to cold. My Garmin GPS will not take a charge much past freezing. Ion cells do not like the cold. One other mod I did on one of our Ions was I took the entire auger head and battery apart and put dielectric grease on all the electrical goodies, now I'm not worried about water getting in anywhere.

3. having fun

having fun

That's great I must of had a lemon
    Mine was full charged would only drill 12 holes,n my uncle's.
    Glad we brought a gas auger as backup that day 10 miles out n no auger wouldn't been good

4. hiljak102

hiljak102

Have you been happy with this auger I’m considering buying a 10” soon but everyone I talked to has the ion

5. Cat Power

Cat Power

Last weekend I was on a trip up north and my buddy had a Jiffy Propane auger and another buddy had a cordless drill set-up. The propane auger was froze up the entire time and did not run, the DeWalt drill set-up punched about 14 holes on a battery before dead.

I guarantee my 30 year old gas auger would of had zero issues, but of course we took the "better" stuff

6. RichP

RichP

Not sure what your point is, I wouldn't have recommended either of those things, this thread is about Ions. Also, I've been around plenty of people that couldn't get their ancient gas augers to start (and have loaned out my ion), heard enough 4 letter words to last a lifetime related to it.

7. Cat Power

Cat Power

My point:

You said you don’t know why anyone would buy a gas auger

I disagree

My story was a reason why for me

I know this is a ION thread. LOL

8. EJSams

EJSams

I bought the ION X 10" this season. I like it. I have found the blades will ice up. I learned to let it spin a bit out of the water after drilling a hole and not laying it wet in snow. I shovel off a small spot if there is a lot of snow like this weekend. Lighter than gas heavier than drill.

9. sfw1960

sfw1960 Staff Member Super Mod Mods

My buddies is a few years old, but was never used until this season.

The power cuts on & off when drilling...

You squeeze the switches and it would turn a half to full rotation & cut off - restart -cutoff restart...

Dang thing did that thru 6 holes on my using it - and it did it for another friend, then when I went to show the owner it kept running.

ANY IDEAS guys?

WTH????????????????????????/

10. YOTEANTIDOTE

YOTEANTIDOTE

Mine just started doing that also after years of working flawlessly.
    However it only does it with a load on it, meaning if I hold it above the ice and power it up it runs continually. When augering a hole (invoking a load) it would do this.
    Battery level was good, and blades appear sharp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. sfw1960

I was considering one after I pounded the last bit of oomph out of my 22 Y.O. StrikeMaster Mag III - but I'm rather unsure now!

12. EJSams

EJSams

Even if you have to replace the battery after several years that is offset somewhat by not having to buy gas/oil. I love mine.

13. sfw1960

Good for you ...

I buy my oil by the gallon and I rarley go thru a gallon of mixed, and the leftovers if there are any go in the tank or another vehicle like my boat or truck.

I can buy a lot of gas & oil for $150.

I just want dependable, and my auger in 22 years has cost me very little for TCO.

14. EJSams

EJSams

Agreed. I just meant it offset the cost a little. For me it is just nice to throw it on the backseat of the truck, no smell spill etc. It certainly is more expensive.

hawgeye likes this.
  15. brigeton

brigeton

Mine did that once this year. It hadn't been charged in a while. Even though the battery indicator showed a full charge I took it home and charged it and it worked like new again.