Ion Ice Augers

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by springpoint, Jan 24, 2018.

1. jscheel

jscheel

Mine quit completely, wont take a charge and wont turn the auger, so as long as yours is showing some sort of life run with it as long as you can.

Richard Cranium likes this.
  2. brigeton

brigeton

I have had my Ion 4 years but havn't done a lot of ice fishing in that time. I didn't charge it at the beginning of the years because the indicator showed a full charge. On my 3rd trip it was starting and stopping when I drilled a hole. The battery indicator still showed a full charge but I took it home and charged it and the next time out it ran like new again.

3. scooter_trasher

scooter_trasher

CrashAxe likes this.
  4. RichP

RichP

5. scooter_trasher

scooter_trasher

your welcome

6. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Thanks very much but Crap! I went to order one today and they only fit the 8" ION and I have a 6". I searched around for a while and came up dry.

If anyone knows of one that fits the 6" ION, please post it. If you guys have one for an 8" ION and think it'll fit, please let me know. I hate to spend $25 to try it and then have to pay for a return if it doesn't.

7. Abbeydog

Abbeydog

We have 4 of the original Ions........not a problem with any other than a broken trigger switch from a dumb thumb move....was thinking of trying a new X type, but why fix something that isn't broken. I fish with guys that have 18volt drills attached to Fin bore or Swede bore augers.....they work ok , but I will put money on it the hand drill gearbox will fail long before the purpose built / designed Ion planetary gear box will. We also get a lot more holes as well with the larger battery and voltage. Ive seen the other augers perform with the 26Volt hand drill also. If you do a lot of hole hoppin with thin ice up to 12 "lets say, I could see where speed would be good.
    If you like the high speed of the auger so you throw the cuttings and slush all over your pant legs and every thing in the hut, they're the way to go......

8. CrashAxe

CrashAxe

9. RichP

RichP

Ended up getting my cold snap cover in the mail on Friday. Those things work great. Easy hands free on and off.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

10. FivesFull

FivesFull

Pretty much what I use but with a cheap $40 auger and I love it. So quick and quite and light. the newer brushless drills hopefully will last. Plus the drill is used for more than fishing. Only downside is batteries don't last long in cold but I have a large one and three small ones and can get prolly 80 holes though 12-15 inches just try and keep them warm.

11. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin

I think my next auger will be an ION. A friend of mine bought one and I have used it a few times. I don't care for how slow it is but other than that I don't see a downside other than price. I could deal with the speed. I am used to my 7yr old 3.5hp 2 stroke jiffy that just wants to rip ice all day long. I don't dare drill my holes before I take the cover off my shanty or it fills it will ice chips. Lol

I dig the idea of not having to piss with gas leaks, rubber grommets on the tank that suck, gas lines splitting, ethanol, mixing gas or frozen throttle cables. All problems I have had in the past. In reality though, I probably won't trade in the ol jiffy for a while yet, but when I do......

12. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

Milwaukee red lithium battery's don't drop charge in the cold. I don't baby mine one bit. Brushless is key, more importantly hammer drill. Hammer drills have metal gears and built for torque. They will outlast ordinary lithium-ion/brushless drills.

If you would've asked me 10 years if I would be running a drill/ION/electric auger I would've laughed and gave you a look like you are crazy. Glad I made the change, haven't regretted it once. No more mixing gas, dealing with leaking gas, heavy auger. Just pull the trigger and go!

I drilled easily 60+ holes today off a 5amp battery, still had juice left at the end of the day.

13. Marrble Eyes

Marrble Eyes

I picked up the newer 8" X model this January for all the reasons stated above. I really like it. Lighter than the Ole Jiffy and no gas, smoke, stink....

Used it so far on 3 trips to the bay and worked great. Double check that blade cover before you stick it in your back seat. Mine was loose and the blade cut a nice 2 inch long slice in the back rest on the ride home.

14. Abbeydog

Abbeydog

sorry to hear about the mod on the back rest, maybe you could put a second cut in cross ways to make an "X" lol....... one thing a lot of people don't realize about the batteries for these augers is that they must be kept out of the freezing cold. I bring mine in at night and store in in the hut during the day. En route to the camp I keep it in a heated riser bag....never an issue, I have had it cold enough a few times that it would start and stop a couple times when drilling. I think some people have had the same thing happen, and think it may not be fully charged, but until there is some current being pulled through the battery and it warms itself up, that's what happens. Brotherinlaw wants to buy my original auger........hmmmm?

15. hawgeye

hawgeye

I have never a had the cold battery issue with my Strikemaster Lithium Lazer 10" auger. I leave the battery in my gear bag on my snowmobile that stays outside every night. I only charge it every couple weeks and it has always has a full charge whenever I use it.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app