Ion Ice Augers

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by springpoint, Jan 24, 2018.

1. springpoint

springpoint

Thinking about buying an Ion Auger. The thing that scares me is the amount of plastic. Has anyone had trouble with the plastic cracking or breaking?

2. RichP

RichP

No. I always thought if anything broke it might be the trigger mechanism because it doesn't exactly seem heavy duty, but 5+ years later, haven't had a single issue with my Ion.

3. LITTLECLEO

LITTLECLEO

Not sure about that,just picked the ion x up at Franks in Linwood the other day,the guy there swore by them he’s had the older version for 4-5 yrs (ion) now he has the ion x,says there awesome,and no worries about batteries dying due to cold,that was my concern,not about all the plastic,paid 549

4. Falk

Falk

I purchased my Ion 5 years ago. It has been trouble free. It's been one of the best items that I've spent money on for ice fishing.

5. springpoint

springpoint

Thanks guys! Sportsmans's Guide has a sale on them right now. With the coupon I got the regular ion for $388. Couldn't pass that deal up.

hawgeye likes this.
  6. RichP

RichP

That's a good deal for sure. I got mine for about the same price when Dick's was having a year end sale. With the possible exception of my Vex, it's been my most favorite ice fishing related purchase ever, no regrets.

7. DasGoby

DasGoby

I just got mine this year. It is great. My only concern is the weight. A KDrill setup is potentially half the weight. Still I feel the ION is a much more solid setup.

8. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Three years with mine now. Zero issues and I've never ran the battery down once.

9. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Staff Member Mods

I would recommend a Milwaukee hammer drill paired with a nils. Ions are nice don't get me wrong.

My friend has one and I don't get why they put a ring around the bottom. We were out on a very cold day and the blades were icing up quickly and bad, got to the point it wouldn't cut. That ring was holding slush in between blades.

They are also heavy and the prices for a battery is insane.

That's my .02

10. Sofa King what?

Sofa King what?

My friend has one. Works great. On VERY cold days you have to keep the battery warm or it will run out of juice. On the ride out, someone tucks the battery into the top of thier bibs.

11. CrashAxe

CrashAxe

On an early model, a friend had an issue with his reverse switch. I have the X5, keep the battery in a small insulated lunch bag with a hand warmer. I have not had a bit of problem with it. Best money spent since the fish finder.

12. springpoint

springpoint

Thanks guys can't wait to try it out.

13. 1morebite

1morebite

I have the Ion X,
    No issues at all. Charged the battery once this summer and still said full charge so I left it for a three day trip on the bay. Left the battery on the drill outdoors the whole time (since buddies also had propane where) just to test it and battery still reads full charge after 50+ holes.

14. chemo13

chemo13

Just bought mine 2 weeks ago, and I'm glad I did! I have been boring up to 20 holes on that Sag Bay ice ice without any problems.
    Be careful though, those blades are sharp!

15. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

The only thing I don't like about my Ion is the blade guard that falls off all of the time. Does anyone have a modification that prevents this?