Interior Boat Light Question

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by arrowdog, Aug 4, 2020.

1. arrowdog

arrowdog

I have a 14' aluminum boat that I am doing some upgrades to. I am installing rod holders, a drain plug, running and courtesy lights, and new wood where the motor clamps on. I was considering installing some interior lights to use when tying knots and such after dark. I think that having regular white lights will be too bright. Has anyone installed interior lights? What color lights did you install? If you had it to do over, what would you install, or would you not install them at all?
    Thanks,
    Norm

2. CL-Lewiston

CL-Lewiston

Will be interesting to watch this thread. Thanks

3. arrowdog

arrowdog

I re-posted it in the Boat and Boat Rigging Forum. I forgot that the forum existed.

4. Quack Addict

Quack Addict

I installed waterproof blue LED lights under the gunnels on 2 boats. You want to mount them such that you can't see them directly when they are turned on to avoid blinding yourself.

I thought about other colors but blue and green ended up at the top of the list. Went with blue because the first boat has some blue carpet in it. Used blue in the 2nd boat because I like them so much in the first.

Something like these
    https://www.amazon.com/Underwater-U...=blue+led+12v+light+bar&qid=1596571481&sr=8-7

5. piketroller

piketroller

Stay away from green and red as those are reserved for the navigation lights. Yellow has been a commonly used color for your purpose for a long time.

garyb and Quack Addict like this.
  6. Quack Addict

Quack Addict

Yep, those were considerations as well.

Yellow is also a commonly used color in navigation - means the vessel is towing something.

7. piketroller

piketroller

Yellow has its place for commercial craft. Calling it common for recreational craft less than 26 feet, it is not.

8. Jimbo 09

Jimbo 09

9. frenchriver1

frenchriver1 Mr. Flatfish Premium Member

Considering the same idea of lights but was wondering if it is necessary to mount them pointing down or under an overhanging strip such that the light shines down rather than into the general exterior of the boat. Not sure a deep blue would throw enough light at night for knot tying and such. Also, aware of any issues mounting a strip on the outside under the gunnels for a distinctive look?

10. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

Led light strip from Super Bright LEDs 12 volt. Manual or remote control. Can change cors ans intensity. Red, green, blue, yellow, and combination.
    20200503_144245.jpg

Scout 2 likes this.
  11. waldowillie

waldowillie

I installed amber LED lights for the interior of my boat and am very pleased. They are made by Innovative Lighting and were called 4-Amber LED Screw Mount Courtesy Light with Black Case.
    These little LED lights are an easy install, do not attract insects at night, and they put out an incredible amount of light for their size.

12. Ray Duve

Ray Duve

I mounted 4 waterproof puck led lights in my boat. They run on 3 double AA batteries and get about 20 hours of life. No wiring needed and produce more light than what I really need. Ran the strip lights and after a year started burning out. Not worth the hassle in my option.

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

13. georgeb

georgeb

the interior of my Sylvan 16 with red LED blinker lights from pickup truck mirrors
    boat3.JPG
    no visible light outside the boat and night vision is not compromised

boat4.JPG
    on the rod rack are head lamps that have UV lights in them. I tried to use them to illuminate florescent rod tips but they were not bright enough. The unintended good thing is they fluoresce mono fish line excellently so knot tying in the dark is a piece of cake.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    piscatorial warrior and ESOX like this.
  14. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

I use red LED's they are all under the gunwales or under deck lids and consoles, where they won't be seen unless there is a larger craft very close to us. If they see it then, maybe red beats the snot out of green.......... I am seldom going much more than a troll speed after dark anyhow. Never outdrive your vision. If I'm not trolling, the lights are off anyhow.

15. GongShot

GongShot

I used blue led strips, glued them into a small aluminum "U" channel, and mounted them so they face down towards the floors