close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Interesting read

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Management' started by swampbuck, Aug 8, 2017.

1. swampbuck

swampbuck

2. sureshot006

sureshot006

you wouldn't know that from the bait retailers there lol

3. Dish7

Dish7

Sorry I'm fairly new to MS. If I'm rehashing something that's been discussed many times, I apologize as I can see that never happens in these threads o_O:rolleyes:. I do understand what constitutes poaching and I'm not buying that 335,000 deer are killed illegally each year. I guess I'm naive or have more faith in the sportsman of this state than that :).

Hunters Edge likes this.
  4. otcarcher

otcarcher

Be careful, these guys will associate you with PETA and an anti-hunter, just because your idea of the hunting experience doesn't include blasting the first thing with antler on it's head. SMH.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 2:47 PM
  5. ridgewalker

ridgewalker

Do you mean just like the ideal clubs in 487 which are trotted out there by some MAPR proponents?

Hunters Edge likes this.
  6. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

Slob hunting is a broad term, could be used for a hunter that spends time fretting over the neighbors and guys down the road harvest choice that are legal, just not how you would do it. Saying someone with "Buck Fever" is a slob hunter is wrong. Like you never had it? If not, deer hunting may not have been exciting enough for you.

ridgewalker likes this.
  7. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

I am struggling with that number also, I could be wrong but seems high. Must be some big bone piles out there.

8. QDMAMAN

QDMAMAN Premium Member

Other than typing on an internet chat room, what are you doing to abolish the MAR process? Any letters written? Any NRC meetings attended?

9. QDMAMAN

QDMAMAN Premium Member

You aren't wrong. Two entire Counties in DMU487 (btb zone) have baiting still.

Uncle Boopoo likes this.
  10. mbrewer

mbrewer

Is this one of the some that makes sense?

I cannot think of anything in life that is more personal than making the decision to kill an animal for all the right reasons. I cannot imagine being so belligerent as to think anyone has the audacity to make such a decision for another.

Sound science dictates an annual harvest of surplus animals based on habitat carrying capacity and population dynamics, along with winter weather conditions and other science based determinations. This percentage of surplus harvest has nothing to do with the age or trophy considerations.

11. sureshot006

sureshot006

The DNR already does it when it limits your harvest and restricts antlers on the 2nd buck. That's belligerent, too I guess.

I'd like to have more 2.5+ bucks around. That makes me belligerent, stupid, selfish, etc. Oh well :)

sniper likes this.
  12. Uncle Boopoo

Uncle Boopoo

Did you miss the part where I said, "the DIFFERENCE between slob hunting and buck fever"?

otcarcher likes this.
  13. QDMAMAN

QDMAMAN Premium Member

His outrage is selective.

Uncle Boopoo, Craves and otcarcher like this.
  14. Uncle Boopoo

Uncle Boopoo

I'm just relaying what multiple CO's from multiple states have said over the years. There's no way to know the actual number but between 50-100% of the legal kill seems to be the common response. Even if it's only 50%, that number is still way too high. Living in SE MI all my life and talking to many random "hunters" over the years, a lot of guys treat tagging violations as a wink and a nod. Many of them don't consider it poaching unfortunately. Find a way to curb that behavior and we'd all be a lot better off.

15. Hunters Edge

Hunters Edge

How many is many? To curb that behavior, all you need to do is ask yourself, why you did not report it? I highly doubt it is as high of an offense as you think.

QDMA has documents from northern states and Canadian provinces showing a downward curve in fawns. Many states are looking into predators, with research on bears, coyotes, wolves, for an answer.

If 355,000 from poaching 355,000 for harvest, 60,000 for car kill, your looking at 770,000. If their estimate is correct at 1.7 million. I do not see how 355,000 are poached it would not leave enough to replenish, especially with lower, fawn survival rates data. Even half that number is not even realistic of 177,500.

As far as yearling it is defined as older than a year but less than two. Unfortunately majority of hunters that I know classify a fawn without spots about 6 to 8 months old as a yearling. Kind of similar to slang for words not in the dictionary.