Interesting, officials saying baiting might not be spreading disease

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by poz, May 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poz

poz

Deal’s office had no immediate comment, but in his order he said state officials “found no evidence that hunting over feed” has directly impacted deer harvest numbers or led to more disease. It also cited “inequity” between hunters in different parts of the state.

2. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

I wonder if peaches or peanuts are better mule deer bait?

TrailMarker likes this.
  3. ratherboutside

ratherboutside

I dont care about baiting but if I read that correctly, a politician (the governor) is requesting expansion of the baiting zone against the recommendation of wildlife biologists in his state. That is the correct decision in your opinion?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

4. poz

poz

Look at the second post it from the article it says State officials have found no evidence of baiting spreading disease. It doesn't say who the state officials are but I'm sure it's someone who deals with deer management

5. hunterrep

hunterrep

Just more evidence that nobody has a remote clue on how to handle these diseases. But what the heck, let's wipe out the deer herd just in case it might be the right thing to do. SMH

6. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

If minerals spread it bait does the same. Learn to hunt and stop making the deer nocturnal

7. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Admin Mod

Never really bought into the premise that bait made deer nocturnal. For example in areas where food is available ad libitum, deer can already feed whenever they wish. In areas of low resources, I have personally witnessed deer move early in order to compete for bait.
    The factor that I believe most responsible for deer going nocturnal is increased pressure and increased human scent. So yes, in regard to increased scent dispersal with bait I can see a relationship. But with proper scent control, or spin cast feeders where scent is minimized - deer are likely to move normally until hunting pressure is increased.
    <----<<<

8. Dish7

Dish7

What is this? "Clickbait" LOL. I thought there was going to be an actual study shown, not just some politician making decision against all scientific advice.

farmlegend, otcarcher, TJD and 3 others like this.
  9. Waif

Waif

A social "science" thing. No scientific proof /evidence to refute the statement. :whistle:.

10. Hunters Edge

Hunters Edge

Baiting can push deer to become nocturnal. Not in Michigan with a 2 gallon limit and a 10x10 minimum area.

In areas or back in the day when there was no limit or now when illegal baiting practice occur with front end loaders or trailers full of bait dumped, can and has influenced deer to become nocturnal. In the day to eliminate this from happening at night carpet was pulled over bait PILE.

Today in Michigan with a 2 gallon limit and not counting birds, rabbits, squirrels, just the population explosion of raccoons, forces deer today to get there before dark. That is if they want any.

I agree with Joe Archer hunting pressure pushes them, but even full moons and rut influences deer as well. If you ever noticed it also coincides with leaves coming off the trees and windy days. Lots of noise in the woods but at night wind dies down, leaves are not hitting ground or blowing along the ground making noise, and they have the harvest moon giving them almost daylight conditions.

Have you ever got up on the weekend just like during the work week, and wishing you could sleep in? I think this contributes to nocturnal behavior, their body gets use to it. Not to mention those old boys who got old because of nocturnal behavior.

I will also add that with feeders actually promote daylight usage. That is if they are not over baiting for the deer density in the area.

michiganreaper and jr28schalm like this.
  11. beer and nuts

beer and nuts

Baiting does NOT make deer go nocturnal. Human presence hunting the deer over bait does, constant walking to and from bait and into the deer territory makes deer nocturnal.

I've been baiting for a long time behind the house. Deer come at all times most of the time, come November, it's like a switch.

12. michiganreaper

michiganreaper

I agree bait it self does not make deer go nocturnal. It is pressure. Drive around in the summer you will see very few trucks on the 2 tracks. Then during Oct the triffic picks up. Come Nov. it's like I-75. Same goes for private land. You see deer most of the year but then right before gun season everyone getting there blind ready walking around. It does take much to get deer on edge.

retired dundo and davidshane like this.
  13. Hunters Edge

Hunters Edge

I disagree. If that were the case when taking bait out by foot or driving a UTV/ATV they would run away instead of running in for the food.

If someone is not seeing deer and baiting, they are pushing them off there beds. Or shining a light on there way out in the morning. Have you ever had a bright light shines in your eyes? Now figure how much more it would hurt deer with more light sensitive, allowing them to see at night?

30 to 35 years ago a deer ran into the side of my truck. Even then I figured out he was running blind because of bright light hitting his eyes.

Because of witnessing deer running in and waiting for the 2 gallon to be spread. I see how being there does not make them go nocturnal IMO.

Besides many articles and even posts explaining the importance when setting up food plots, bait sites or blinds to have a way to enter and exit secretly. It may be as simple on figuring away to enter, or do not hunt mornings to keep deer coming in during daylight.

Also if they are nocturnal by November, how is the biggest harvest done on November 15th?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    ridgewalker likes this.
  14. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

Can we learn to hunt at night/ Maybe make it legal....

jr28schalm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.