Inflatable life jacket

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by mbirdsley, May 25, 2020.

1. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

So I’d like to start doing bass tournaments. Obviously one of requirements is you have to have a flotation device on while running. I think I’d like an inflatable one. I usually dont wear a life jacket I just keep in in my 14 foot tin boat. I think if I bought an inflatable one I might wear it more even, with out doing tournaments.. I don’t know anything about them. I’m a big guy 6ft4 290 lbs. how do you measure for them? By chest size? I live in chesaning (mid-Michigan) who sells them so I could check the. Out ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Jiw275

Jiw275

I am 6’3”, 240#. This fits over my winter clothes.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Mustang-Elite-trade-Auto-PFD/1952177.uts?slotId=5

3. CrankyThunder

CrankyThunder

Hey there Mbirdsley:

You can go check them out at Cabelas, bass pro, west marine, etc.

I had one but I did not like it too much. Little bit of drizzle and that thing would go off, scare the crap outa me!

If you leave it in the boat while you trailer it, hit a wet spot of pavement and that thing will go off. Even had it go off one time when I hit a good wave from the bow spray.

Hey, on a beautiful day at slow speeds in hot weather they are great. Cold wet weather (the type I usually fish in) I appreciate the extra warmth from a well fitted life jacket.

Bottom line, I would keep it stored and bring it out on the hot sunny days and keep the regular life jacket for most times.

Regards,
    Crankster

mbirdsley likes this.
  4. HemlockNailer

HemlockNailer Premium Member

You can buy them without auto inflate which eliminates this problem. I bought a Mustang with co2 inflater or manual blow tube. Wear it all the time.

Nostromo and mbirdsley like this.
  5. Jiw275

Jiw275

The Mustang I have activates by pressure not water. No inflation due to rain.

6. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

Actually that is a good point about it inflating if it gets wet. Never thought about that. Is there cartages that can be bought for them

7. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Only way any decent autoinflator vest would inflate in the rain is if you were running at 70 mph iin a downpour sufficient to drive water past the 3/4" wide velcro strip holding the outer shell parts together. 20 years of autoinflating life jackets and I never had one inflate while I was wearing it, unless I fell in the water, and I am usually the first in and last out every year. (not this year.) :( But I do have a couple of manual inflators for wading, kayaking and canoeing.

mbirdsley and perchjerker like this.
  8. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Never had mine deploy for rain. I test it every few years to make sure it's there if I need it.

mbirdsley and ESOX like this.
  9. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Yes, you can get recharge kits which are a CO2 cartridge and the dissolveable lozenge

10. FishTales

FishTales

mbirdsley likes this.
  11. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

Well this is good news than thanks for the help. I’m heading north to frankfort next weekend and I’ll stop by jays to see what they have.

Than I will need build a live well and I’ll be ready to do some local tournaments. I’m hoping to buy or build a bigger boat from the hull up this fall. At least with a real life jacket I can be a co-angler if I don’t want to use the mirror craft

12. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

13. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

[​IMG]
    I didn’t get an inflatable one. Guy at jays said the 134 dollar inflatable one was known to go when getting wet. Didn’t have enough $$$$ money for a mustang. Could have gotten a manual one but, the first time I had it on I’d prolly get knocked out cold going in the water. So I bought this one for $100 it fits pretty good and shouldn’t be a hassle to wear

I’m heading for big crystal, big platte and Lake Michigan ( brothers boat). I’d feel better crossing both inland lakes with one

bowhunter426 and John Hine like this.