close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

In shore fishing?(Tampa Area)

Discussion in 'Out of State Fishing' started by 2SloSHO, Mar 27, 2018.

1. 2SloSHO

2SloSHO

Hey all i'm about to head down to the Gulf side for a week vacation and was thinking about bringing some of my gear with me. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on where or who to talk to thats not to far away from there where I might be able to catch some fish from shore, bass and fish of that nature is what im mainly geared for. Any intell is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. Riverdude

Riverdude

OK I'll get straight to the point. Screw the bass and freshwater thing, you can do that here.
    Hire a guide and go snook fishing, preferably at night. Yes its $300 or so but you will have a great time. Think 5 to 20 lb. smallmouth on steroids. Wish I could go.

Shoeman likes this.

3. Acts 11:7

Acts 11:7

Anywhere in the surf will most likely produce fish. Think catfish fishing up here, but use their bait. Shrimp and Fishbites go a long ways down there. And when some snobby lady from New York tries to tell you not to fish, tell her to pound sand.

ma1979 likes this.
  4. JTFish1

JTFish1

Just got back from a week in Siesta Key (South of Tampa/Sarasota) We booked a charter for "inshore" fishing and ended up going 7-8 miles out in the ocean. Fished structure, non stop action for Groupers, Snappers, Trigger Fish, Yellow Tails, Porgy's and Spanish Mackeral. I was able to fish from the beach and target the Spanish Mackeral, Sheephead, and Pompano. Lots of fish in the surf/Beach. Some days they were aggressive and other days they wanted nothing to do with anything.
    I took down a couple steelhead rods and had a couple reels spooled with 20lb mono. (We used 20lb braid with a mono leader on our charter.)
    Live bait is the main way to go down there, Shrimp, Pin Fish, Dead squid cut up. That type of stuff. All the bait shops sell it and what not. We ran rigs with swim baits on them as well and knocked out a couple fish doing that.

Have a ball!!

5. TrailMarker

TrailMarker

Gandy Bridge - Baitshop near the bridge can get you all set up. 20 minute drive depending where you are at in Tampa.

6. Chromelander

Chromelander

I will be down in treasure island next week also. I've done tons of research on fishing around there. Charters we're to much money for me so I'm going to try shore fishing in the gulf, Wade fishing flats,pier fishing,and bridge and dock fishing. There are lots of places for the public to fish. I'm taking a MH spinning rod with 30lb braid along with some basic tackle. Take a way to keep bait alive cause most likely you'll be fishing live bait. I'm gonna talk with a couple bait shops when I get there and give it a try.

Huskies2002 likes this.
  7. Riverdude

Riverdude

Chromie, I used to live at the mouth of Blind Pass. Go to the St. Pete Beach side and throw some plugs along the rocks at nite for snook. Bomber model A's, Rattl-traps, Mirrolures. Think pike plugs.
    Jerk your plug. Jerk, 2 cranks, jerk 2 cranks.
    Big seatrout, reds, and jacks in there too.

8. Chromelander

Chromelander

Thanks dude I'll try that, we are staying at a condo with a dock on the intercoastal waterway. What can I expect to catch off the dock? I'll probably start off trying live shrimp or baitfish and go from there. I've never fished saltwater before so I'm a rookie. Also if I try Beach fishing how far out would you cast? I've read everything from find the trough to right next to shore. Thanks

9. Northernfisher

Northernfisher

I was fishing St. Joseph Sound with a guide on Monday. It sounds like it is a normal season. You could wade fish off the Dunedin Causeway, Rent a kayak, or hire a kayak guide. (Fish the north shore back toward the marine - it is good for trout and an easy paddle).

I could tell you how to wade fish the north shore of Fred Howard park in Tarpon Springs. There are Spotted Sea trout there now and if you do it right Redfish and snook.

If you PM me I can send you a recommendation for a captain if you want. The kings are in and they can be a real blast if you get to them.

10. Chromelander

Chromelander

There are many places to fish around fort desoto. Two piers, Wade the flats or surf fishing. You can also rent kayaks there to see some manatee and do some fishing around the mangroves.

Northernfisher likes this.
  11. Riverdude

Riverdude

Wading is great. Old pr. of teener shoes. Learn to do the shuffle so you don't step on ray. Drag feet. Ft Desoto is ptetty popular now. Good wading around the skyway too. All depends on tide. Topwater at first lite. 15 lb. main with 30 lb. shock leader for open water. Trough is better later in yr. All u catch off dock is sailcats.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

12. Xx xxx xX

Xx xxx xX

How is the fishing going? I'm going to be in Tampa from the 9th to the 16th any info or tips you have about pier or shore fishing would be great

13. Chromelander

Chromelander

We'll finish up my trip to treasure island. I only fished off the dock at the condo and ended up catching a lady fish, sharks, catfish, and pinfish. Lots of fish everywhere we went along people fishing. If you go get up early to get a spot. Went to fort desotD and everyone was using scabiki rigs, lots of fish being caught but it was packed. The skywsy was also packed with fisherman.lots of dolphins everywhere. we did see a huge snook at shell key but I didn't bring any gear.best bait was a small piece if shrimp on a small hook.

14. HillbillyDeluxe

HillbillyDeluxe

Headed to clearwater in a couple weeks. Planning on doing a little shore fishing. Ill report back on my findings .

15. Northernfisher

Northernfisher

If you get a chance go with a kayak guide. They are not that much compared to boat guide and you will learn a lot you can use for shore fishing.

It is a great time to be fishing Clearwater. If you wade shuffle your feet. It is also a great time for stingrays.

6Speed and HillbillyDeluxe like this.