Imperial 575

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by adam bomb, Mar 17, 2020.

1. adam bomb

adam bomb

Anyone fish the imperial 575? Was looking at the 13’ Rainshadow/Kingpin Imperial 575 combo on Nova tackles site. Likes, dislikes. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

2. jd4223

jd4223

Adam have you ever fished a 13' rod before? If not,be prepared that the length of the rod may feel tip heavy. I'm not sure if the rod you're looking at has fixed reel seat or sliding rings. Most guys I talk to say they prefer sliding rings on a 13' or longer rod so they can balance the rod with the reel they are using.The longest rod I can fish is a 12-6 Shimano Convergence with a fixed reel seat. Had a brand new rod (Kype) that I bought from a member on CenterpinAngling when the company was going out of business. The rod was 13-6 with fixed reel seat. Most beautiful rod I ever seen,came with beautiful rod sock and tube. Paid a total of $60 including shipping. Put my centrepin reel on it and couldn't hold the rod level without the rod tip wanting to touch the floor. Could not cast it and hold the rod up to keep line off water. Rod tip always ended up in the water. My wrist and arm developed tendonitis. Ended up selling the rod for double what I paid to a guy from Ann Arbor...Said he never centerpinned before and fell in love with the rod as soon as he seen it. Asked him if he wanted to try it out first before buying but said he didn't have a centerpin yet.. Wished him good luck and never heard back from him..

3. adam bomb

adam bomb

I already Centerpin fish with a 13’ rod with sliding reel seats. I love the long rod because I fish big rivers and can make long drifts with minimal mending as well as picking up that line when it’s time to make em wear it. I also like the long rod for handling bigger fish.

I chose sliding rings for my current pin and do like that option for the balancing purposes you speak of. Another reason I like larger centerpin reels is to offset the long rods. In addition “faster” pick up for more drifts with the larger diameter. The only thing I don’t like is that cork compressed and then the seats fit loosely. I taped them in place currently but want to get some shrink tube to clean it up. I’m also considering carbon fiber grips, but and curious about sliding seats on them. Do they hold in place or require fixing them to the rod as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

4. jd4223

jd4223

I couldn't tell you about that. I've always done what you do. I've heard guys take pieces of bike inner tubing and put them under the rings(taped) to keep the rings from slipping.

5. LushLife

LushLife

i have lead tire weights shoved in the butt of a couple of fixed-seat rods to counterbalance

6. kingfisher72

kingfisher72

Now that you know where you like your reel, you could always re-do the handle on your current rod. It isn't that big a deal to remove a couple guides, cut off the cork handle, assemble a new handle with a proper reel seat exactly how you like and re-wrap the guides. Good summer project. Having a good double locking reel seat is much nicer than full cork with any sort of tape.

adam bomb likes this.
  7. Floater

Floater

I'm not sure about the Imperial but I have a Kingpin Zeppelin that is killer. Nothing bad to say about it at all.

adam bomb likes this.
  8. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

I’ve fished the 575 imperial a little... it’s big, it picks up line quick. Clicker is stronger than a lot of the older kingpins... all in all pretty good feel to it. I expected it to feel like a bike rim on the rod, but it wasn’t too bad. I did however feel a little “off” casting it as my only real gripe. I spinning side cast, and maybe I’m just used to my 5” reels, but now and then I’d feel the drag of the spool edge. Probably with larger diameter I needed to be further off the side of the spool with my guiding hand than I am used to and it would have grown on me more. That’s really about all I can think of to comment on it - hope it helps!