"Immenent" dam failure evacuations

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by ESOX, May 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Josh R

Josh R Premium Member

For those asking about Dow, here's a pic. I have no idea on the structures tho

M30 Bridge in Wixom is GONE also[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Swampdog467, FIJI, BILC and 4 others like this.
  2. BILC

BILC

A buddy of mine sent me this picture this morning. It's his sons friends basement in Midland. The fish is real. IMG_2038 (002).jpg

NbyNW, Swampdog467, TK81 and 12 others like this.

3. Shagy

Shagy

4. OH-YEAH!!!

OH-YEAH!!! Premium Member

The downtown public library’s basement was just renovated last June because of flooding.

Maybe the dams should be removed. They weren’t helping much other than to create a water reserve for when the river gets a major deluge. 8704E6D5-6A22-4737-BD0D-7DF81BEDD63B.png

tincanary likes this.
  5. FIJI

FIJI IZ Kamakawiwo'ole lives! Premium Member

I was there to watch the Edenville Dam fail, as I went to help volunteer transport evacuees to Emergency Shelters. Sheriff last off the bridge said there were 3 foot rip rap boulders swirling like pea gravel as they closed off M-30. You could feel the ground tremble standing in Stryker's Marina parking lot. Secord Lake is 4 FEET above the all-time record and our dam is still holding - for now! When I left this morning it had dropped about 4-5 inches since last night. Boats still attached to docks are floating everywhere. Rafts and jet skis are bobbing around like toys. No electricity in and around Edenville. Its a MESS

6. PerchPatrol

PerchPatrol

I do wonder if they will be rebuilt. Lots of ex lakefront property owners probably hope so.

U of M Fan likes this.
  7. Oldgrandman

Oldgrandman Woods and Water Rat Premium Member

Crazy, it's like 1986 was here, but over there. But there is a gonna be a lot more damage this time.

8. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

You convinced me, from now on I will call anything that holds back water a dam!

TK81 likes this.
  9. tom_the_chemist

tom_the_chemist

Not sure if you are implying the dams were the cause of the flooding in Midland in recent years. They were not.

That flooding was due to heavy rainfall in the city. It affected many of my co-workers who are living in areas of Midland completely unaffected by the dam breach flooding.

Had one co-worker who had to fix the drywall in his basement in back to back years.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

10. Nitro225Optimax

Nitro225Optimax

That will be an interesting discussion. Many angles. Is rebuilding the dam good for the environment? I believe some have said the dams should come down. What is the recreation worth in local revenue and how does that translate into state tax revenue? What about property values and future property tax revenues? I’m guessing in order to rebuild the dam to be stronger so this never happens again would cost tens of millions of dollars. It seems most dams that fail are not rebuilt? I do feel bad for the home owners. Home values just dropped by 50% or more.

I do have a silly question. Since the state owned the waterway, who now owns all that dirt? Do homeowners lots extend into the lake and now they have larger lots? Does the state own the dirt? I guess my question is, how will lot lines be redrawn?

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

11. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

I hear the 500 year event repeated often, but I'm wondering how bad it was and what damage it caused.
    Midland, 500 years ago did not look like Midland today! There were no houses, no development, no ditches and yes no dams. I'm thinking that a event that happens every 500 years will cause much more damage in a developed area.

sureshot006 likes this.
  12. Nitro225Optimax

Nitro225Optimax

American Rivers reports that in the United States, nearly 850 dams have been removed in the last 20 years, with more than a hundred removed in 2012 and 2013 alone. "We're at the end of the large dam-building era in this country and the beginning of the river restoration era," says Irvin.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...wha-river-dam-removal-salmon-science-olympic/

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

13. Oldgrandman

Oldgrandman Woods and Water Rat Premium Member

Wow, the Tit is ripping! Look at the Grand for comparison.

the tit.jpg

gr.jpg

eggfly and MichiFishy like this.
  14. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

These are key questions that are going to be discussed I’m sure. With out the lake or lakes there is no reason for all those houses in the middle of nowhere gladwin/midland counties. I would bet the dams have more value to the county as Lake front property tax value than as power generating stations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    DanSS26, NbyNW, Swampdog467 and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.