I'm in the market for new waders

Discussion in 'FlyTyingForums.com, Fly Tying, Trout Fishing' started by brushbuster, Feb 28, 2018.

1. brushbuster

brushbuster

I bought a pair of Simms freestones stocking foots in 2004 and they are now starting to let a small amount of water in on one leg. I might be able to seam seal them, but I have an Alaska trip planned and I think I want a new pair. I see Simms still sell the freestones, 250 bucks, not a bad deal considering how long the last pair lasted after several trips to Alaska Any recommendations for good waders at that price point? I don't want to go much over 300

2. crazydrake

crazydrake

3. crazydrake

crazydrake

Brad ,if you call them direct they might also offer a 50$ visa card rebate. I got the same pair for 299$ after the rebate . That was last year though. Your cedar strip Ausable boat is great , but unfortunately I haven't been able to use it much. Probably, but reluctantly will have to sell it , if you know anybody looking for one let me know . Thanks.

4. hommer23

hommer23

Have you thought about sending them back to Simms for repair? It will only cost you $40-65 plus shipping and they will come back like new in 3-4 weeks.

brushbuster likes this.
  5. StaticSilveraydo

StaticSilveraydo

I got a set of Patagonia Rio Gallegos for 350 bucks on sale before Thanksgiving last year. Seen a few similar deals since then on them you just gotta search all around. Hands down the best waders I've ever worn, am very impressed and like better than a few friends with Simms. Little more than you wanted to spend but worth it for me.

brushbuster likes this.
  6. Riverdude

Riverdude

My 12 yr. old Patagonias started leaking last fall. Called Patagonia C/S.
    3 days later brand new pr. of Skeena River Waders at my door. FREE!
    I like them a lot.
    Needless to say they have a customer for life.
    Best C/S experience I have ever had.

brushbuster likes this.
  7. Dorf-on-Steel

Dorf-on-Steel

Bb,
    I have a pair of Simms Freestones about 10-12 years now. In 2016 I had big L shaped tear in the right butt cheek. I called them and it cost me $25 and shipping. Look like sh't but they work like before. They were real good to work with. I'd give them a call and see what they can do. Otherwise I'd buy another pair as I like them very much.
    G'Luck,
    Dorf

brushbuster likes this.
  8. Dorf-on-Steel

Dorf-on-Steel

Please post a picture of the boat.
    Dorf

9. brushbuster

brushbuster

ausable boat 2.jpg

10. brushbuster

brushbuster

Im going to have to give them a call, 50 bucks would be worth it if they can find the leak and fix it. I love those waders.

11. neazor91

neazor91

If you like Simms and know your size, check out Ebay. I bought a pair of freestones about 10 years ago. Last year they finally wore out. Last March I bought a pair of Simms headwaters for 225 on Ebay. They're lighter and more flexible than the freestones I had. I'm looking forward to another 10 years from these.

Mike

brushbuster likes this.
  12. strmanglr

strmanglr

Had a leak in my Simms right at the seam between leg and neoprene bootie.

Washed them, let them dry, sent into Simms sent me a new pair.

Whole process took about four weeks. I went out and bought a cheap pair for back up for about $100. Those lasted pretty well.

About to do it again.

13. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

I sent my Simms back a couple of weeks ago. The pocket had de-laminated at the zipper. They fixed it for free. I had them check for leaks while they had them handy since they have a special tank for that purpose alone. They found leaks in multiple locations. So they put on new neoprene stocking feet and new lower legs for $60 bucks. I also had them sew in an interior zip-in pocket for $30 bucks. They also had a cheaper option for $15. I splurged for the zip-in. All in all very reasonable charges IMO rather than the cost of a new pair of waders.

14. fishrod

fishrod

Cabelas still has one of the best warrantys imo. Bought guide series 4,5 years ago, developed small leak in one leg, took em back with recipt....new pair no questions asked.

15. strmanglr

strmanglr

Cabelas has an incredibly good return policies.