Illinois to raise home taxes and destroy home values, to pay for union pensions

Discussion in 'Political Discussions (FreeMichigan.com)' started by Pinefarm2015, May 15, 2018.

1. REG

REG

Except if you are paying 12 to 17K or more in property taxes already. Then it is an issue.

2. Pinefarm2015

Pinefarm2015

And it’s $150,000 in taxes. The additional $5000 is added to the likely $10,000 plus in taxes they are already paying, times 30 years.

That’s $150,000 that should be used to pay down the mortgage.

vsmorgantown likes this.

3. YOTEANTIDOTE

YOTEANTIDOTE

Not that these ideas don’t have merit but as someone else pointed out, have you ever received subsidies for farming?
    And you might want to rethink your stance on higher education, after you use a comma you don’t need to write “no more”. It is implied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Nick Adams

Nick Adams

Remember the good old days when state and local taxes were deductible at the federal level? Those unfortunate, high-end home owners just can't catch a break.

-na

5. Pinefarm2015

Pinefarm2015

That was even worse. That caused some states to crank up taxes and spending even more.

If anything, it’s illuminating that so many a $500,000 house in Chicago is some mansion. I have friends and family in the city. $500k gets you around a cramped 1200-1500sq feet.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/Chicago,-IL_rb/17426_rid/

6. bucko12pt

bucko12pt

I wish they would 80% of the farm bill is nutrition programs and 95% of that is the SNAP program.

Careful what you wish for.

Eric Bee and farmlegend like this.
  7. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever

Not only no but hell no - my house isn’t quite $500k and I can guarantee you lunch money is less than ten bucks - and that’s when I go out and don’t eat left overs at home.

8. kingfisher 11

kingfisher 11

If you are going to saddle all this debt on home owners. Then why can't you also only allow home owners to vote? What you are doing is (once again) allowing a large percentage of people who have no stake in who pays for it..... too vote for it.

REG likes this.
  9. oldforester

oldforester

The money to cover pension obligations should have been deposited in the pension fund at the time it was earned.

Gutless politicians didn't do that at the time, and now just a portion of the states population is being taxed to make up for past political sleight of hand.

Illinois state government has been dominated by Chicago liberals for years, and that is why the state is having such financial difficulties, and why so many past Governors have done prison time.

Far Beyond Driven likes this.
  10. Northernfisher

Northernfisher

Really? Everyone that resides in the state or owns property pays taxes directly or indirectly.

11. farmlegend

farmlegend Say My Name.

With that attitude, it's safe to conclude you'll never have to come up with that five grand.

12. REG

REG

Those governors didn't need any help from what's described as Chicago liberals to earn jail time. In fact, the last one going to jail was a Chicago politician.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  13. DrMeyer

DrMeyer

Wow, do you read this publication, or just cherry pick the link? I now know to ignore anything you post.

Seriously, everyone should see the front page of this POS. I think their alt title was "Pandering to Shut-Ins."

14. DrMeyer

DrMeyer

"So, apparently, the modern-day American version of Pascal’s Wager is this: You can be liberal, educated, and financially stable, or you can risk it all for eternal happiness. ;)"

This is a quote from the dipshit who wrote the article cited above. I guess somebody reads this crap, or he wouldn't be in business.

Me, I'll pass.

15. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

"I now know to ignore anything you post."

Yes, as you've proven your integrity in spades in these forums.