close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I'll start

Discussion in 'Air Guns' started by Steve, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

Thanks to those who suggested this forum. Great idea. Can't believe we didn't already have one.

I have a .177 Benjamin air rifle with an upgraded scope. It is a break action. I get decent accuracy from it but really can't shoot very well without resting it on something. Then it's pretty deadly so long as I remember to not grip it tightly in the front.

I think the trigger is the limiting factor as it has way too long of a pull and take too much pressure to pull it.

2. Waif

Waif Premium Member

Wore out a Crosman 760 as a youth.

Dads health has been rough . He no longer hunts but needs to do more.
    With a weakened state after last hospital deal I bribed him with pellet guns.
    He had to work his arms a while on stretchy bands before receiving one.

Bought a couple Chinese and got him going.
    Then a Crosman Venom nitro piston.
    .22 caliber all for wallop.
    He needs to work on a flat handed hold , but rifle needs broke in still anyway.
    We mounted the scope and dialed it in suprisingly well ,but awaiting some change during break in.
    Go Dad!

Drake, Jigawhat, motdean and 2 others like this.

3. Firefighter

Firefighter

I've been playing with a Benjamin Trail XL 22 and some 25 grain pellets. Plan on hunting squirrels with it next week.

Shoots minute of squirrel at 30 yards :)

bobberbill and petronius like this.
  4. petronius

petronius

Thanks for getting this forum started.

Can we get these two threads moved over to this new forum?
    Air Gun FPS?
    Big Bore Air Rifle

5. Albaman

Albaman

I bought a Charlie De Tuna GRT-III trigger for my Crosman, cost $33 and that's including shipping in that price and the difference is like night and day. The rifle is so much more accurate and it's a breeze to install.

Here's the link if you're interested. http://www.charliedatuna.com/

Firefighter, cedarlkDJ and petronius like this.
  6. 2Lungs

2Lungs

I have a RWS model 48 in 22cal. Heavy gun but shoots great and never had a problem in the 20+ years I've own it. Killed tree rats . woodchucks, grinners, etc.

petronius likes this.
  7. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

I have a Beeman R1 that I purchased in the early 80s. I bought it as a daily practice rifle for competitive centerfire shooting. I've only replaced the piston seal. Great rifle.

About 5-6 years ago I picked up a Beeman R8 at a police auction. It was a little beat up and needed some work plus parts. I found what I needed at Pyramid Air, refinished the stock, added rings and a scope. It also shoots great and was left at camp for practice there. I ended up trading it for lifetime goose hunting rights at my neighbors farm.

Firefighter and petronius like this.
  8. hommer23

hommer23

I shoot a 20+ year old RWS .177 not sure on the model, break action. Never had any problems other than keeping a scope on it. Killed many squirrels over the years.

petronius likes this.
  9. petronius

petronius

I grew up with BB guns as a kid. My first pellet rifle was a cheap Chinese .177 model I bought in the 1990s. It may not have been the best but it was a lot of fun.
    I'm going to be picking up a .22 in the near future. From other threads I have read, looks like guys have just about every brand out there. But I have my selection narrowed down to about six different models.

Albaman and Waif like this.
  10. Albaman

Albaman

My first gun was a .22 BSA that my Mum bought for me out of a catalogue. Back in those days I would walk to the woods about two miles away with my BSA over my shoulder and nobody batted an eyelid.

Now that was back in the UK, imagine doing that now in Scotland were air rifles have to be licensed.

petronius likes this.
  11. scubajay

scubajay

I have two, both .177. An older (20 years or so) RWS Diana, and a Hatsan 95 that I've had for a couple of years.

I prefer the Hatsan. It shoots more consistently and it is not a springer.

petronius likes this.
  12. cedarlkDJ

cedarlkDJ proud to be a....... Premium Member

I upgraded from an old ‘springer’ to a gas-piston Gamo Whisper Fusion a couple of years ago. I went with a .22 cal and use heavy pellets to keep it below 950 fps. Much quieter than the springer and extremely accurate. For critter control I use these…..

Predator-Polymag-22-Cal.jpg

Accurate and one shot deadly!

jr28schalm and petronius like this.
  13. bobberbill

bobberbill

My RWS Diana sits by the back door. .177 Superdome pellets. It's quiet and accurate.

petronius likes this.
  14. FullQuiver

FullQuiver

I own a Benjamin Discovery it has awesome power and shoots great.. Much more like a 22 than a bb gun.. I have killed several nuisance coon with it as well as a porky that wandered into the yard this spring.. Just for giggles I shot it at a doe head after butchering her last year at 20 yards and with a post shot examination discovered that it had penetrated the skull cleanly to the far side of the brain cavity.. I'm sure at close range they would be lethal with a well placed head shot on deer sized game...

petronius likes this.
  15. petronius

petronius

How loud is the Benjamin Discovery?