close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

If you don't like it then leave. I am.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Gunther Swanson, Aug 22, 2017.

1. yooper Bob

yooper Bob

Gunther, Don't be afraid of the Upper Penninsula, there are some very good towns,friendly people and work. Marquette,Escanaba,Sault Ste. Marie and others have a lot to offer,plus low crime rates,you won't need to carry when you go out. In many areas land is reasonable.

2. 1302berkey

1302berkey

Welcome Gunther! As the spirit leads, doors will open. He always provides, if we always trust.

ridgewalker likes this.

3. petronius

petronius

I agree TC would be the place to go.
    What are the most popular vehicles in Traverse City, Jeep and Subaru? I would get certified for those.

4. petronius

petronius

Sunset Coast = West Cost = west side of state.
    Sunrise Coast Coast = East Coast = east side of state.

Sometimes members will say "east side" or "west side", which really confuses us that live in the Detroit area.

5. sureshot006

sureshot006

Torch lake is GORGEOUS. One of the most beautiful lakes in the world. A bit pricey though. I agree with others... the TC area sounds like it could be for you. Lots to do up there for your whole family. Not sure how their local economy is doing nowadays and where they're headed, but I haven't heard anything negative.

6. Gunther Swanson

Gunther Swanson

Awesome feedback guys, thanks. I just got back from houston area dropping 8000 lbs of dog food, 200 leashes and collars, and 100 dog kennels. We are enjoying the search from properties. The wife is a bit hesitant that far north but man it is amazing gods country up there. In my mind even if we build and she doesnt like the remote lifestyle we can always move and keep it as a cottage! I am glad to be home and back on the search for a great property.

At the camp i volunteer at we have a 6 acre pond we built. We used the creek on our property. We trenched out and piped on the east side for the inlet and then piped the west side back to the creek for outlet. With the water always moving in and out it has worked perfect! Besides the beaver wars its been pretty easy to maintain. So needless to say i have been searching for creek property now instead of waterfront. I will make my own lake haha.

7. junkman

junkman

Welcome to the site.I wish you all the luck in the world in finding what you are looking for.you seem like the type of guy that makes the best out of every situation.So I have no doubts that you will find it.Really awesome thing you did for the dogs down there.I am also a dog person.I have two rescue dogs that came from abusive situations.

Gunther Swanson likes this.
  8. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

Watch making your own lake in Michigan that way with out checking all of the DNR and DEQ regulations.

9. Gunther Swanson

Gunther Swanson

Thanks junkman! I was on a swift water rescue team and had a yellow lab k9 partner for 6 years. So helping those that cant help themselves is second nature. My old team was down there and called me with what they saw. The wife did a facebook thing after i showed her the pictures the guys sent me and i was loaded and gone in a day. You couldnt give me a free house down there. Why people would live in an area where you invest everything into a home on some property makes me wonder. I went east of houston to bordeaux. The people there have land and live the small town lifestyle. The guys i met down there were hunters, fishermen, and gun lovers such as myself. I did drive through houston and stopped at 2 animal shelters. They were pretty set. When i went east it was a different story. The difference between the 2 areas was houston was expecting help and out east they were relying on each other not asking for help though they needed it desperatly. I hit church after church in that area that became shelters. The dogs were all outside tied up. I brought food, leashes, collars, food bowls and cages. These were strays and family pets. The people cant return to their homes. Most were still underwater as of monday. That would suck so bad. Not to mention the heat down there is just brutal.

Multibeard why do you mention that? Has that been an issue? When we built ours we involved the DNR and they were cool with everything and even stocked our pond. They come out and shock it every 2 years so we can maintain an eco system. I hope MI DNR as just as cool. I have no problem with rules.

10. hawgeye

hawgeye

Contact the local DEQ before you buy if you plan on building a pond like that. We have strict laws on wetlands here. Good luck on your adventure!

11. multibeard

As hawgeye said the rules on anything concerning the environment can be confusing in Michigan. Most of the employees of the DEQ and DNR are easy to get along with but some not so.

12. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

They will not stock a pond without public access here, as I remember it. Welcome to Michigan, lots of us like it here just fine.

jimp likes this.
  13. multibeard

You can buy your own fish to stock your private pond. If it does not have any way that the fish can get in or out you should not need a license. That is unless some idiot sitting in an office thinks he sees a way by looking at a map make a decision that they can with out putting boots on the ground.

14. junkman

junkman