If you are a public land hunter in the LP...

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting Regulations, Proposals, and Law Debat' started by stillsteamin, Nov 24, 2020.

1. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

[/QUOTE]
    I still have my hillbilly rotisserie

Screenshot_20201127-214034_Gallery.jpg

2. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

I still have my hillbilly rotisserie

View attachment 609117 [/QUOTE]
    Reminds me of the pig roast keggers we had back in the day ...good times :)

Dish7 likes this.

3. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Its a marketing ploy.

A550020A-E60C-425B-9E34-DECBDD024ABE.jpeg

can'tstop, jr28schalm and swampbuck like this.
  4. sniper

sniper

Lol. I seen that shirt just once. It was in a big box of rags we use at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

5. swampbuck

swampbuck

Should be both or neither.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

6. swampbuck

swampbuck

7. Justin

Justin

I bought one a couple days ago.

8. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

9. stillsteamin

stillsteamin

I'm gonna guess that you hunt private land? If you are working hard for limited deer sightings on public land and then passing on a legal animals with hopes of "bettering the deer herd" then you either like horns more than meat, or have more faith in the guy down the ridge than I do.

Until I posted this I had no idea how many guys thought that game laws should be made to rely on the general public's discretion and good faith. Has anyone seen the state of the general public lately? Already finding rifle shot spikes left laying in the woods just from the combo tag change this year. Can't imagine how many stupid button bucks got killed over the last couple weeks. Yet here we are, professing our faith in the pipe dream of libertarian game management and quibbling about APRs and bait.

Y'all better cross your fingers you dont loose that private land access, because you're living in a state that doesn't give two squirts about the quality of its public land hunting.

10. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

75% of my hunting is on public land. The other 25% is spent hunting a 10 acre wooded lot or a with a farmer in late season taking does(you can do this too. Most would even offer to let you use their management permits.)

We live in a State where many won't accept personal responsibility for what has happened. I understand that my actions can directly impact the deer herd and as such I don't grind away on land devoid of deer, shoot the only deer I see and then complain about lack of deer.

I am a proponent of education over regulations. It may take longer to properly educate, but once done we will have better control over the deer herd instead of relaying on thebl state

11. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

quibbling about APRs and bait.

That does get all the attention these days as hunting as we have known it goes by the way side .

12. motdean

motdean

Ah....While indeed, I do like your sentiment regarding education over regulation, the educators at times appear to be mired in their interests and appear to tailor their education experience around mythical theories.

13. stillsteamin

stillsteamin

Sounds like we're a lot alike actually. The hunt all week and shoot the one deer you see was not so much something I would do, it was more an example to demonstrate what to me is an odd concept of people being alright with the state saying it's ok to shoot a certain type of animal, having avg joe go out, work hard, and do just that, and then claim joe was wrong and should've known better.

In my dream world, sure, I love the idea of education over regulation, and taking personal responsibility for herd health. I wish all hunters in MI could act in everyone's collective best interests. I wish all people in the world could do that, then we wouldn't need governments or regulations at all. Where we differ, is that I know none of that is possible in practice. Everyone has different priorities, a lot of people are selfish. A few people are plain bad eggs that will happily ruin things for everyone else given the chance.

No matter what I am confident that for my own personal enjoyment, I'll be able to find quality experiences on public land. In my original post I tried to say my concern is where this takes us as a whole. The majority of public land hunters don't have the time or desire to search through the haystack for the needle. Those are the guys that are getting left hanging out to dry in all this. Those are the guys that will quit the sport and move on despite the state's hunter retention schemes. And then I worry where we'll end up as the state panics about a funding source drying up even faster than it was before they started fixing something that wasn't broken.

14. Waif

Waif

Public land is a minority when push comes to shove. As are it's exclusive hunters.

Chessieman likes this.
  15. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

I would argue that most of us on this site are probably already most of the more engaged hunters in the State. We love hunting enough to be on a forum about it.

Majority of hunters don't think about it more than a couple days before season. They want to go to camp, stumble out in the woods, get a crack at a deer to take home to the family and move on. They don't care what it is, as long as it is legal to shoot and take home and eat. Period.

Most of what we argue about isn't really all that applicable to the majority. Most hunters I know are happy with one deer a year. After that, it becomes "beer camp".

If they really want more deer taken. Baiting is about the only real world change that will matter. But, a lot of guys still do that too, so maybe it won't be as big a change as I would like to think.

Tom (mich) likes this.