Ice Runner shantys...Explorer/Expedition

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by specks23, Feb 19, 2018.

1. specks23

specks23 Premium Member

The otters are nice no dought! Ice runner has its place though for some. Yeah there are pros and cons to all shelters, comes down to personal preferance, what type of fishing u are doin and where. Also how u are getting it out there. Iv ruined many tubs and on the bay over the yrs, hyfax runners dont mean squat to saginaw bay! Ur tub needs to be armour plated bottom!, and looking for a light weight 2 man to carry on the snowmobile...not drag it The ice runner may work for me!

Sent from my LG-M430 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. gamalot

gamalot

Right you are Specks and we all have our different needs and finances when it comes to our gear and comforts. What is it about the bay that tears the tubs up so bad? I put an old pair of downhill snow skis under my Clam tub and after 10 years of dragging the skis are pretty well shot but the tub itself is still in great condition. I did buy the optional Hyfax runners for the new Otter and they seem to be doing their job real well. I honestly get more scuffs from the truck to the ice if the parking lot is not snow covered. All of these flip overs pull real easy on bare ice and no machine is needed unless you need to go a long distance to your honey hole. In a different time like 15 years ago I might have gone for something much less expensive like the Ice Runner but these days I just like the higher quality ones that I think will out last me. I have a couple great nephews I am getting interested in fishing and soon Ice fishing so all my gear has a place to go when I can't go any more.

Gam

3. specks23

specks23 Premium Member

Its great ur nephews are gettin the itch, awesome to hear they have someone to get them out and enjoy our wonderful waters! I travel long distances on the bay, and am guilty of goin too fast at times. Its easier traveling not having to worry about dragging ur gear. Even your gear takes a whoopin if not secured properly in the tub while dragging. Hittin snow drifts, busted up ice, crossing cracks etc.. My shanty has been air born more times than i can count!

Sent from my LG-M430 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

4. gamalot

gamalot

Thanks Specks, Up until this year when I finally broke down and bought the Snowdog all my dragging was by one man power so my tubs and gear have never seen any abuse such as you describe. A big lake here is a mud puddle when compared to the bay and the massive lakes a bit further north and west. Even now with a machine I still only putt along at 5-10 MPH and my gear take more abuse on the trailer driving to the lakes than it ever does on the ice. I guess I want to ask, What's the rush, but don't answer that because I do remember those days in my past. I am just thrilled with the machine when I can get to where I want to fish without busting a sweat and running my own fuel supply out before I even get there. I used to dread those long days of fishing when ever I thought about pulling up and heading home and having to drag all that stuff a half mile back to the truck in 6+ inches of snow that turned to slush after the sun got in it.

Gam