Ice Runner shantys...Explorer/Expedition

Discussion in 'IceFishingMichigan.com' started by specks23, Feb 19, 2018.

1. specks23

specks23 Premium Member

Im in the market for a new ice house for next season. I have not cn one of these in person and have not cn any out on the lake. Does any 1 own 1 of these that can can give some feedback? My plan is to not drag my shelter anymore and carry it on a rack on back of a sled. Thx

Sent from my LG-M430 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. specks23

specks23 Premium Member

3. Dkarston

Dkarston

4. Attica_Dav

Attica_Dav

5. specks23

specks23 Premium Member

Bump...no 1 out there has one of these!!??? They were ava this season for purchase. Gonna make me b the guinea pig? Sure would b nice to get some feedback from someone who owns 1.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

6. Attica_Dav

Attica_Dav

Not a personal review, but the online site for these looked really repressive. I will be buying in the next year of two and this is at the top of my list. I prefer not stepping over the holes and this meets that, but can build a comfy seat to meet the needs. Just my option.

unclecrash likes this.
  7. unclecrash

unclecrash

Thas what pisses me off about the hub shelters, two doors kiddie corner one guy has to step over stuff why cant they just put them both on the same side '

8. zer0

zer0

Rethink your sitting situation. Holes go in the middle, fisherman sit facing eachother with your backs in the corner. Each person will have a door.

It's some outside the box thinking.....for inside a box

Bucman likes this.
  9. Magnet

Magnet

The sleds look flimsy.... but would be good for pulling on foot.

10. Drisc13

Drisc13

No seats? Weight and transportation advantages are therefore waaay overstated. Pass....

11. unclecrash

unclecrash

problem with that is then my friend has to get a fish finder .LOL

12. Dkarston

Dkarston

Its 25lbs lighter then the eskimo 2 man with built in seats. 2 bag chairs weigh alot less than 25lbs. If on foot could be a big advantage.

13. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Somebody on here bought one at the beginning of the season. Dig deep, I think you'll find the thread. I was thinking of buying one and mounting it on an Otter sled.

14. Lever4ever

Lever4ever

Sled is too shallow if your carrying 5 gallon pails, it would require something to keep buckets upright. Not a quick set-up, but if you don't mind taking time to move around it's OK. I do like the velcro windows, easy replacement and open ventilation. Add chairs, pail holders and it's the same weight as most two-mans, BUT!! it's 74" high, that's a big plus!! I seen one when shopping around, went with another company. JMHO!!

15. gamalot

gamalot

IMG_1372.JPG IMG_0690.jpg IMG_0686 - Edited (2).jpg

I looked at those when I was in the market this year. I gave them a rating of around 4 out of 10. I wanted something large enough for me and my Brittany plus a couple friends on those bitter cold days. It had to be a sled flip over like my Clam 2 man Guide model but much larger, insulated and with a substantial sled for tossing in all the gear while being dragged by a machine. I ended up with the Otter XT PRO RESORT at almost twice the price but I have no regrets at all having gone with the Otter. The square tube frame is twice as sturdy as is the sled itself. The insulated fabric is also twice as heavy and the best I have seen in this industry. I only used it twice but on both occasions we fished in heavy winds and bitter cold. The Otter Resort has dual bracing poles between all of the frame bows and it stood the test of heavy winds much better that I had expected plus it kept us all warm enough with either no heater or just the small Buddy heater. It has 35 square feet of fishing room out in front of the sled and I only installed 2 of the three seats which left room in the sled for the dogs bed and 2 of us on the seats plus 2 more guys sitting in bag chairs out in front of us with 2 holes for jigging while watching the tip ups. It goes up and down pretty easy and quick but it is definitely a 2 man procedure because it is 84 inches wide. I use the Clam 2 man when it is just me and the pooch but love the Otter when I go with a group. You get what you pay for with all of these flips but Otter has been around a long time and just does it better IMO. My Clam is now 10 years old and still going strong and I expect this new Otter to go for longer than I am able to go. Keeping the critters out during off season storage and keeping it well back from any wood fires out on the ice will be my main concerns plus drying it set up in the garage after a wet day will keep it in great shape for a long time. One of my idiot buddies on the very first time I used my Clam threw a big log into a fire that shot embers all over the top of my fabric leaving a dozen small holes in it. He no longer gets invited to fish with me but I did find that the stuff called Shoe Goo used in tiny dabs does a great jobs for closing up all the tiny burn holes and even works great where the mice got in it one off season and ate a few additional holes in the cover. BTW, Moth Balls and fabric softener sheets just do not work for keeping the critters out during summer storage.

Gam