close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I pilot

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by Matt Bailey, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Matt Bailey

Matt Bailey

I think I decided on a boat, thinking a 2017 Lund Rebel 1650 xs ss, my question is it worth it to upgrade from 55# minnkota to the Ipilot for $250? What's people's opinions

2. shrubmasters@gmail.com

shrubmasters@gmail.com

Go 80lb. You'll thank me later. Sort of like a pole barn, you can't build them big enough!!! 100 lb overkill?! 80 lb i pilot would be great. My next purchase . Enjoy the new rig!!!. Shrubby

chevyguy1414 likes this.

3. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

Agree with shrub.. Spending that kind of coin don't go underpowered on motor or trolling motor, what's another couple grand at that point

4. Outdoor2daCore

Outdoor2daCore

I'll third the thoughts of going with the 80lb and definitely get an ipilot it's the cats meow! Are you ordering the boat new?

5. Matt Bailey

Matt Bailey

Boat is new, but is at dealer already, came with 55# minnkota and helix 5 finder, this is my first fishing boat so it's going to be a learning curve, mostly be fishing inland lakes near me, now I just need to pick color, they have white, red, blue and black in stock

6. Jimbos

Jimbos

8 weeks a year in Petoskey, 44 in Livonia
    I have a 55# I-Pilot on my 16 Smokercraft, if you're going to use it on big water go with the 80, if you're only going to fish mostly inland lakes the 55 will work.
    The I-Pilot is the cats nutz, get it one way or the other.

7. Matt Bailey

Matt Bailey

Does Ipilot still allow use of foot pedal?

8. Waif

Waif Premium Member

I run an 80# I- Pilot on a 14 footer. I like it!

Matt: mine has the remote ,and a foot pedal.
    If shopping for one the pedal might be an option and not standard on all offerings.

9. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

I have the same boat. Get the iPilot.

10. Scottygvsu

Scottygvsu

There's no such thing as too much money, women, or horsepower. If the 80 is in the budget, put it on. Same with the ipilot. If not, you'll still catch a pile of fish and have a blast with the standard 55.
    I vote red on the color. Heard red boats catch the most fish.....

11. Jimbos

Jimbos

8 weeks a year in Petoskey, 44 in Livonia
    What I first got my Terrova I had co-pilot with the pedal but not I-pilot. I upgraded about 4 months later, all I've used in the remote, I don't think all of the features with I-pilot would work with the pedal such a spot lock or creating a track.

12. Matt Bailey

Matt Bailey

Ok so everyone seems to vote for Ipilot, now is their another boat I should be looking at or is Lund best option? This is my first boat and really is going to be used for me and 2 kids, other than a 3 day trip once a year with 4 guys on it

13. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

This is a ford, chevy, dodge deal.....I myself think you can get a lot more boat for same amount of $ then with lunds...only my opinion.

Research, lot's of research.

Bigrigins and hiljak102 like this.
  14. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Sounds like you're letting the internet decide how to spend your money when you need to be the one deciding. This boat is a great choice and like I said, I own one. It fits my fishing needs and style very well and I've never regretted buying it once. I've never had a leak, never had a warranty issue other than seats breaking. They replaced all three of mine when the first one broke and knew they had a problem. Red is a great color too, my wife picked it and she was right. Four guys will be tight with this boat but it will work for the use you mentioned.

Now about the iPilot. I upgraded mine to a Terovia the next year and I know now I should have had it to begin with but I let the river boys talk me into going with a cable steer Maxim at the time. It is better in the Detroit River in my opinion but the iPilot is much better for inland lakes. I only have room for one battery so mine is a 12 volt system. I've trolled lakes all day long and I've never ran the battery down once. The foot pedal stores easily in the bow compartment but I never use it because the iPilot works much better.

Good luck making your choice.

15. birdhntr

birdhntr

I just replaced my power v on my 17 monarch with the terrova I pilot 55# with 54 inch shaft.And it seams to have plenty of power.We love it.I have a kicker motor on the boat and was looking to keep the weight down and didn't want two batteries or want to be replacing two at a time.It has plenty of power.We fished over 6 hrs in the bay and it held our speed and had 25% left after the trip.the waves were 3 to 4 no less.Spent time jigging on the scr and no problems.I contacted minnkota for fitting the boat.They said for the size and weight of my boat the 80 was not necessary.The lund was probably fitted with that motor for the same reasons.The I pilot is the best motor for walleye fishing with settings like cruise control,auto pilot,spot lock,spot lock jog,and Itrack.And the remote shows you your speed.Runs very quiet and very efficient on battery life.I would definitely recommend this for any boat.